Development of a Green Single Drop Microextraction Based on Deep Eutectic Solvent and HPLC-UV for Trace Residue Analysis of Three Frequent-Used Pesticides
Background: A green sample preparation method named deep eutectic solvent-based single drop microextraction (DES-SDME) was developed and optimized for determining trace metribuzin, dichlorvos, and fenthion.
Methods: Two hundred seventy experimental runs were performed, and the optimal values of the five influential factors in the DES-SDME method were determined. The design of the study was based on one factor at a time and the peak area of high-performance liquid chromatography was used as a benchmark for comparing analysis results.
Results: After optimizing the effective factors, the linearity range, detection limit and quantification limit of the method were determined by drawing calibration curves for the studied analytes.
Conclusion: The results indicated the success of the developed method in obtaining acceptable figures of merit as a green preparation method with accuracy and precision.
2. Pourbabaki R, Khadem M, Samiei S, et al (2021). Role of rosemary officinalis in hepatotoxicity induced by Chlorpyrifos sub-chronic exposure in rats. Iran Occup Health, 18(1): 75-88.
3. Fucic A, Duca RC, Galea KS, et al (2021). Reproductive health risks associated with occupational and environmental exposure to pesticides. Int J Environ Res Public Health, 18(12): 6576.
4. Hajibabaei M, Amini MM, Zendehdel R, et al (2019). Synthesis, characterization and antibacterial activity of imidazole-functionalized Ag/MIL-101(Cr). J Porous Mater, 26(6): 1721-1729.
5. Sharma A, Kumar V, Shahzad B, et al (2019). Worldwide pesticide usage and its impacts on ecosystem. SN Appl Sci, 1(11): 1-6.
6. Wahla AQ, Anwar S, Mueller JA, et al (2020). Immobilization of metribuzin degrading bacterial consortium MB3R on biochar enhances bioremediation of potato vegetated soil and restores bacterial community structure. J Hazard Mater, 390: 121493.
7. Viti ML, Mendes KF, dos Reis FC, et al (2021). Characterization and metabolism of bound residues of three herbicides in soils amended with sugarcane waste. Sugar Tech, 23(1): 23-37.
8. Gaona L, Bedmar F, Gianelli V, et al (2019). Estimating the risk of groundwater contamination and environmental impact of pesticides in an agricultural basin in Argentina. Int J Environ Sci Technol, 16(11): 6657-6670.
9. Pourhossein M, Heravizadeh OR, Omidi F, et al (2021). Ultrasound-Assisted Emulsified Microextraction Based on Deep Eutectic Solvent for Trace Residue Analysis of Metribuzin in Urine Samples. Methods Objects Chem Anal, 16(3):153-161.
10. Kostopoulou S, Ntatsi G, Arapis G, et al (2020). Assessment of the effects of metribuzin, glyphosate, and their mixtures on the metabolism of the model plant Lemna minor L. applying metabolomics. Chemosphere, 239: 124582.
11. Zhang Y, Zhang W, Li J, et al (2021). Emerging technologies for degradation of dichlorvos: a review. Int J Environ Res Public Health, 18(11): 5789.
12. Sharma A, Shukla A, Attri K, et al (2020). Global trends in pesticides: A looming threat and viable alternatives. Ecotoxicol Environ Saf, 201(15): 110812.
13. Barbieri MV, Postigo C, Monllor-Alcaraz LS, et al (2019). A reliable LC-MS/MS-based method for trace level determination of 50 medium to highly polar pesticide residues in sediments and ecological risk assessment. Anal Bioanal Chem, 411(30): 7981-7996.
14. Campanale C, Massarelli C, Losacco D, et al (2021). The monitoring of pesticides in water matrices and the analytical criticalities: A review. TrAC - Trends Anal. Chem, 144(1): 116423.
15. Khoshakhlagh AH, Beygzadeh M, Golbabaei F, et al (2020). Isotherm, kinetic, and thermodynamic studies for dynamic adsorption of toluene in gas phase onto porous Fe-MIL-101/OAC composite. Environ Sci Pollut Res Int, 27(35): 44022-35.
16. López-Lorente ÁI, Pena PF, Pedersen BS, et al (2022). The ten principles of green sample preparation. TrAC - Trends Anal Chem, 13: 116530.
17. Soares da Silva BJ, Vargas MDA, de Toffoli AL, et al (2020). Recent advances and trends in miniaturized sample preparation techniques. J Sep Sci, 43(1): 202-225.
18. Khoshakhlagh AH, Golbabaei F, Beygzadeh M, et al (2020). Toluene adsorption on porous Cu–BDC@ OAC composite at various operating conditions: optimization by response surface methodology. RSC Adv,10(58):35582-96.
19. Mahara BM, Borossay J, Torkos K (1998). Liquid–liquid extraction for sample preparation prior to gas chromatography and gas chromatography–mass spectrometry determination of herbicide and pesticide compounds. Microchem J, 58(1): 31-38.
20. Poole CF (2003). New trends in solid-phase extraction. TrAC - Trends Anal. Chem, 22(6): 362-373.
21. Kokosa JM (2019). Selecting an extraction solvent for a greener liquid phase microextraction (LPME) mode-based analytical method. TrAC - Trends Anal. Chem, 118: 238-247.
22. Lemos VA, Oliveira RV, dos Santos WN, et al (2019). Liquid phase microextraction associated with flow injection systems for the spectrometric determination of trace elements. TrAC - Trends Anal. Chem, 110: 357-366.
23. Kailasa SK, Koduru JR, Park TJ, et al (2021). Applications of single-drop microextraction in analytical chemistry: A review. Trends Environ Anal Chem, 29(1): 00113.
24. Jordan A, Stoy P, Sneddon HF (2021). Chlorinated solvents: their advantages, disadvantages, and alternatives in organic and medicinal chemistry. Chem Rev, 121(3): 1582-622.
25. Cai T, Qiu H (2019). Application of deep eutectic solvents in chromatography: A review. TrAC - Trends Anal Chem, 120(1): 115623.
26. Herce-Sesa B, López-López JA, Moreno C (2021). Advances in ionic liquids and deep eutectic solvents-based liquid phase microextraction of metals for sample preparation in Environmental Analytical Chemistry. TrAC - Trends Anal Chem, 143(1): 116398.
27. Perna FM, Vitale P, Capriati V (2020). Deep eutectic solvents and their applications as green solvents. Curr Opin Green Sustain Chem, 21(1): 27-33.
28. Gao B, Poma G, Malarvannan G, et al (2022). Development of an analytical method based on solid-phase extraction and LC-MS/MS for the monitoring of current-use pesticides and their metabolites in human urine. J Environ Sci, 111(1): 153-163.
29. Iqbal S, Iqbal MM, Javed M, et al (2020). Modified QuEChERS extraction method followed by simultaneous quantitation of nine multi-class pesticides in human blood and urine by using GC-MS. J Chromatogr B Analyt Technol Biomed Life Sci, 1152(1): 122227.
30. Gallo V, Tomai P, Gherardi M, et al (2021). Dispersive liquid-liquid microextraction using a low transition temperature mixture and liquid chromatography-mass spectrometry analysis of pesticides in urine samples. J Chromatogr A, 1642(12): 462036.
31. Jouyban A, Farajzadeh MA, Mogaddam MR (2019). Dispersive liquid–liquid microextraction based on solidification of deep eutectic solvent droplets for analysis of pesticides in farmer urine and plasma by gas chromatography–mass spectrometry. J Chromatogr B Analyt Technol Biomed Life Sci , 1124(15): 114-121.
|Issue||Vol 52 No 11 (2023)|
|Single drop microextraction Metribuzin Dichlorvos Fenthion|
|Rights and permissions|
|This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial 4.0 International License.|