First Cases of SARS-CoV-2 in Iran, 2020: Case Series Report
In Jan 2020, the outbreak of the 2019 novel coronavirus (SARS-CoV-2) in Wuhan, Hubei Province of China spread increasingly to other countries worldwide which WHO declared it as a public health emergency of international concern. Iran was included in the affected countries. Throat swab specimens were collected and tested by using real-time reverse transcription PCR (RT-PCR) kit targeting the E region for screening and RNA dependent RNA polymerase for confirmation. Conventional RT-PCR was conducted for the N region and the PCR products were sequenced by Sanger sequencing. The first seven cases of SARS-CoV-2 infections were identified in Qom, Iran. This report describes the clinical and epidemiological features of the first cases of SARS-CoV-2 confirmed in Iran. Future research should focus on finding the routes of transmission for this virus, including the possibility of transmission from foreign tourists to identify the possible origin of SARS-CoV-2 outbreak in Iran.
2. Lim YX, Ng YL, Tam JP, Liu DX (2016). Human coronaviruses: a review of virus–host interactions. Diseases, 4(3): 26.
3. Huang Ch, Wang Y, Li X, et al (2020). Clini-cal features of patients infected with 2019 novel coronavirus in Wuhan, China. Lan-cet, 395 (10223): 497-506.
4. World Health Organization (2020). Pneu-monia of unknown cause – China. https://www.who.int/csr/don/05-january-2020-pneumonia-of-unkown-cause-china/en/
5. Holshue ML, DeBolt C, Lindquist S, et al (2020). First case of 2019 novel corona-virus in the United States. N Engl J Med, 382(9): 929-36.
6. Phan LT, Nguyen TV, Luong QC, et al (2020). Importation and human-to-human transmission of a novel corona-virus in Vietnam. N Engl J Med, 382 (9): 872-74.
|Issue||Vol 49 No 8 (2020)|
|SARS-CoV-2 Iran Emerging disease Virus COVID-19|
|Rights and permissions|
|This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial 4.0 International License.|