Upregulation of miRNA-155 in Nasopharyngeal Carcinoma Patients
Background: The upregulation of miRNA-155 (miR-155) has been associated with oncogenesis of many human tumors, including nasopharyngeal carcinoma (NPC). However, the profile of miR-155 in Vietnamese NPC patients has not been investigated. The current study aimed to evaluate the miR-155 expression and assess whether miR-155 is a potential biomarker for diagnosis of NPC in Vietnamese patients.
Methods: In current case-control study, total of RNA was isolated from 60 biopsy NPC samples and 60 non-cancerous swab samples were analyzed by Reverse-transcription PCR, qualitative Real-time PCR.
Results: The frequency of miR-155 detection were 78.33%, 15.0% in NPC and non-cancerous samples (P<0.05), respectively. The miR-155 expression level was 4.92 times higher in tumor samples than non-cancerous sample.
Conclusion: Taken together, miR-155 in NPC was upregulated. It may serve as a potential biomarker for NPC in the Vietnamese population.
2. Bartel DP 2004. MicroRNAs: genomics, bi-ogenesis, mechanism, and function. Cell, 116(2):281-97.
3. Ha M, Kim VN (2014). Regulation of mi-croRNA biogenesis. Nature Reviews Molecu-lar Cell Biology, 15(8):509-24.
4. Calin GA, Croce CM (2006). MicroRNA signatures in human cancers. Nat Rev Cancer, 6(11):857-66.
5. Faraoni I, Antonetti FR, Cardone J, et al (2009). miR-155 gene: a typical multifunc-tional microRNA. Biochim Biophys Acta, 1792(6):497-505.
6. Macfarlane LA, Murphy PR (2010). Mi-croRNA: Biogenesis, Function and Role in Cancer. Curr Genomics, 11(7):537-561.
7. Du ZM, Hu LF, Wang HY, et al (2011). Up-regulation of MiR-155 in nasopharyngeal carcinoma is partly driven by LMP1 and LMP2A and downregulates a negative prognostic marker JMJD1A. PLoS One, 6(4):e19137.
8. Lovat F, Valeri N, Croce CM (2011). Mi-croRNAs in the pathogenesis of cancer. Semin Oncol, 38(6):724-33.
9. Amin M, Lam AK (2015). Current perspec-tives of mi-RNA in oesophageal adeno-carcinoma: Roles in predicting carcino-genesis, progression and values in clinical management. Exp Mol Pathol, 98(3):411-8.
10. Lee KT, Tan JK, Lam AK, et al (2016). Mi-croRNAs serving as potential biomarkers and therapeutic targets in nasopharyngeal carcinoma: A critical review. Crit Rev Oncol Hematol, 103:1-9.
11. Lao DT, Truong KP, Le HAT (2018). miR-NA-141 as the Biomarker for Human Cancers. JPRHC, 10(2):42-9.
12. Tili E, Croce CM, Michaille JJ (2009). miR-155: on the crosstalk between inflamma-tion and cancer. Int Rev Immunol, 28(5):264-84.
13. Jiang S, Zhang HW, Lu MH, et al (2010). MicroRNA-155 functions as an On-comiR in breast cancer by targeting the suppressor of cytokine signaling 1 gene. Cancer Res, 70(8):3119-27.
14. Higgs G, Slack F (2013). The multiple roles of microRNA-155 in oncogenesis. J Clin Bioinforma, 3(1):17.
15. Zhu X, Wang Y, Sun Y, et al (2014). MiR-155 up-regulation by LMP1 DNA con-tributes to increased nasopharyngeal car-cinoma cell proliferation and migration. Eur Arch Otorhinolaryngol, 271(7):1939-45.
16. Vigorito E, Kohlhaas S, Lu D, et al (2013). miR-155: an ancient regulator of the im-mune system. Immunol Rev, 253(1):146-57.
17. Wan J, Xia L, Xu W, et al (2016). Expres-sion and Function of miR-155 in Diseas-es of the Gastrointestinal Tract. Int J Mol Sci, 17(5):709.
18. Mahdavifar N, Ghoncheh M, Mohammadi-an-Hafshejani A, et al (2016). Epidemiol-ogy and Inequality in the Incidence and Mortality of Nasopharynx Cancer in Asia. Osong Public Health Res Perspect, 7(6):360-72.
19. GLOBOCAN 2012. Estimated cancer inci-dence, mortality and prevalence world-wide in 2012. http://globocan.iarc.fr/Pages/fact_sheets_population.aspx
|Issue||Vol 50 No 8 (2021)|
|Mirn155 microRNA Nasopharyngeal carcinoma Vietnamese|
|Rights and permissions|
|This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial 4.0 International License.|