A Rare Cause of Refractory Chronic Diarrhea and Cachexia: A Case Report
VIPoma is an unusual neuroendocrine neoplasm that autonomously secretes VIP. It is associated with secretory diarrhea and electrolyte disturbances. Herein we report a case of a male patient, who was hospitalized in the Department of Endocrinology in Hedi Chaker Hospital, Sfax, Tunisia. He presented VIPoma syndrome, with hepatic metastases at diagnosis. He had a history of chronic, watery diarrhea. He was dehydrated with many electrolytic disorders as hypokalemia, hyponatremia and metabolic acidosis. Abdominal CT scan showed a heterogeneous mass in the pancreatic head with multiple hepatic lesions. A high VIP hormone level was found. Histological study of a liver biopsy revealed hepatic metastases of neuroendocrine carcinoma. The patient received analogues of somatostatin and systemic chemotherapy, with a transient symptomatic relief. Sadly the patient was lost to follow-up.
2. Krejs GJ (1987). VIPoma syndrome. Am J Med, 82 (5B): 37-48.
3. Batcher E, Madaj P, Gianoukakis AG (2011). Pancre-atic neuroendocrine tumors. Endocr Res, 36(1): 35-43.
4. Peng SY, Li JT, Liu YB et al (2004). Diagnosis and treatment of VIPoma inChina: (case report and 31 cases review). Pancreas, 28 (1): 93-7.
5. Stephen L.Smith, Susan A.Branton, Anthony J.Avino, et al (1998). Vasoactive intestinal polypep-tide secreting islet cell tumors: a 15-year experience and review of the literature. Surgery, 124(6):1050-1055.
6. Chisin R, Shibley N, Glaser B (1998). Somtitostatin-Receptor Scintigraphy in the Management of Gastroenteropancreatic Tumors. Am J Gastroen-terol, 93(1):66-70.
7. Roche A, Girish BV, de Baère T, et al (2003). Trans-catheter arterial chemoembolization as first-line treatment for hepatic metastases from endocrine tumors. Eur Radiol, 13(1): 136-140.
8. Kulke MH, Anthony LB, Bushnell DL, et al (2010). NANETS treatment guidelines: well-differentiated neuroendocrine tumors of the stomach and pan-creas. Pancreas, 39(6):735-752.
Copyright (c) 2020 Iranian Journal of Public Health
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial 4.0 International License.