Influences of Physical, Environment, Task, Timing, Learning, Emotion, Perspective (PETTLEP) Intervention on Psychological Resilience, Psychological Skills, Anxiety and Depression of Athletes
Background: High-intensity competition pressure leads to psychological problems for athletes, which need to be improved through intervention. We aimed to explore the influences of PETTLEP (physical, environment, task, timing, learning, emotion, perspective) intervention on the psychological state of athletes, and provide references for their psychological improvement.
Methods: Overall, 120 basketball players were enrolled through the convenience sampling method from Shaanxi, Yunnan, Fujian, and the national basketball team in China from April to June 2022. PETTLEP-based imagery intervention was given to all athletes, and their psychological resilience, training state, psychological skills, anxiety, and depression before and after the intervention were evaluated using a questionnaire survey.
Results: The psychological resilience value of athletes after the intervention was higher than that before the intervention (P<0.05). The psychological resilience index of athletes who trained for more than three years was higher than that of athletes who trained for less than 3 years (P<0.05). The athletes who trained for over three years felt better after the intervention concerning good feelings, self-efficacy, self-adjustment, and physical fitness recovery than before the intervention (P<0.05). No statistical differences in self-confidence, coordination ability, and motivation were observed among the athletes trained for different years before and after the intervention (P>0.05). The athletes who trained for over three years have shown better results regarding focal attention and cognitive regulation after the intervention than before the intervention (P<0.05).
Conclusion: The PETTLEP-based imagery intervention can improve the athletes’ psychological skills, relieves anxiety and depression, and enhance their psychological resilience.
2. Turner MJ (2016). Rational emotive behavior therapy (REBT), irrational and rational beliefs, and the mental health of athletes. Front Psychol, 7, 1423.
3. Wilson D, Bennett EV, Mosewich AD, Faulkner GE, Crocke PR (2019). "The zipper effect": Exploring the interrelationship of mental toughness and self-compassion among Canadian elite women athletes. Psychol Sport Exerc, 40:61-70.
4. Greiwe J, Gruenke J, Zeiger JS (2022). The impact of mental toughness and postural abnormalities on dysfunctional breathing in athletes. J Asthma, 59(4): 730-8.
5. Ahn HS, Song YG (2019). Linking coach interpersonal style with athlete psychological need satisfaction and need frustration, mental toughness and doping intentions. Korean J Sport Psychol, 30(2):45-59.
6. Breslin G, Shannon S, Haughey T, Sarju N, Neill D, Leavey G, Lawler M (2019). Athlete and non-athlete student intentions to self-manage mental health: Applying the integrated behaviour change model to the state of mind programme. J Appl Sport Psychol, 33(1): 83-97.
7. Piggott B, Müller S, Chivers P, Burgin M, Hoyne G (2019). Coach rating combined with small-sided games provides further insight into mental toughness in sport. Front Psychol, 10: 1552.
8. Hrozanova M, Moen F, Pallesen S (2019). Unique predictors of sleep quality in junior athletes: the protective function of mental resilience, and the detrimental impact of sex, worry and perceived stress. Front Psychol, 10: 1256.
9. Thartori V, Nordin MS (2019). Structural equation modeling and relationships between mental wellbeing, resilience and self-stigma. Res World Econ, 10(2): 129-35.
10. Abel KM, Hope H, Faulds A, Pierce M (2019). Promoting resilience in children and adolescents living with parental mental illness (CAPRI): Children are key to identifying solutions. Brit J Psychiat, 215(3): 513-5.
11. Einarsson EI, Kristjánsdttir H, Saavedra JM (2020). Relationship between elite athletes’ psychological skills and their training in those skills. Nord Psychol, 72(1): 23-32.
12. Özdemir N (2019). The investigation of elite athletes’ psychological resilience. J Educ Train Stud, 7(10): 47-57.
13. Wang Y (2020). Correlation analysis of empathy satisfaction and empathy, mental resilience, and social support in elderly patients with functional dyspepsia. World Chin J Digestology, 28(2):70-5.
14. Fan ZH, Xu P (2019). Effect of PETTLEP imagery intervention on the self-efficacy of basketball players: A single-case experimental design study, Shandong Sports Sci Technol, 41(6): 42-9.
15. Xu JX, Wang HY, Tsai ZX (2017). The eight-week PETTLEP image model involves the benefits of improving the mental skills of young athletes. Cent Plains J Phys Educ, 10: 69-77.
16. Park J, Bouck EC, Fisher MH (2020). Using the virtual–representational–abstract with overlearning instructional sequence to students with disabilities in mathematics. J Spec Educ, 54(4): 228-38.
17. Hinton VM, Flores MM (2019). The effects of the concrete-representational-abstract sequence for students at risk for mathematics failure. J Behav Educ, 28(4): 493-516.
18. Gucciardi DF, Stamatis A, Ntoumanis N (2017). Controlling coaching and athlete thriving in elite adolescent netballers: The buffering effect of athletes' mental toughnes. J Sci Med Sport, 20(8): 718-722.
19. Mai SY, Jiang M, Hun T (2019). A study on the mental skills of high-level athletes in Guangdong universities, Contemp Sports Technol, 9(28): 254-6.
20. Hu QQ (2019). The Effect of increased intensity of physical exercises on mental health and resilience among college students. Chin J School Health, 40(1): 83-5.
21. Yuan XY, Jian SY, Fu SY, Guo W, Peng Y (2021). Evaluation of the effects of mindfulness training on sleep, anxiety and depression in college students, Chin J School Health, 42(11): 1655-9.
22. Lin HH, Lin TY, Ling Y, Lo CC (2021). Influence of imagery training on adjusting the pressure of fin swimmers, improving sports performance and stabilizing psychological quality. Int J Env Res Pub He, 18(22): 11767.
23. Slimani M, Tod D, Chaabene H, Miarka B, Chamari K (2016). Effects of mental imagery on muscular strength in healthy and patient participants: A systematic review. J Sport Sci Med, 15(3), 434-50.
24. Yu XF, Xu ZY, Hu TT (2019). Effects of group psychological intervention combined with health education on psychological resilience and coping styles of patients with abdominal tumors complicated with hypertension. Pract J Card Cerebr Pneumal Vasc Dis, 5(2): 521-8.
25. Lu FJ, Gill DL, Lee YC, Chiu YH, Liu S, Liu HY (2020). Effects of visualized PETTLEP imagery on the basketball 3-point shot: A comparison of internal and external perspectives. Psychol Sport Exerc, 51, 101765.
26. Saeidikia A, Vagharseyyedin S, Danaie Z, Tabiei S (2021). Impact of PETTLEP-based mental imagery on nursing and midwifery students' skill of nasogastric tube insertion and self-efficacy. Int J Psyc Rehabil, 24(10):4373-87.
27. Boroujeni ST, Kakavandi MA, Qeysari SF, Shahrbanian S (2021). Effect of PETTLEP imagery and physical training on the brain-derived neurotrophic factor and memory function in patients with multiple sclerosis. J Ilam Univ Med Sci, 28(6):12-22.
28. Zandi HG, Heris DM (2020). The effect of PETTLEP and traditional mental imagery on handball triple shooting in novice and professional adolescent handball players. Shenakht J Psychol Psyc, 7(5): 1-14.
|Issue||Vol 52 No 1 (2023)|
|Athletes Psychological resilience Psychological skill Training state Anxiety Depression|
|Rights and permissions|
|This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial 4.0 International License.|