The Effectiveness of Transdiagnostic Treatment Program on Clinical Symptoms and Emotion Regulation in Girls Adolescents with Premenstrual Syndrome
Background: Premenstrual Syndrome (PMS) is the experience of some physical and psychological symptoms periodically in the last days of the menstrual cycle that interferes with academic, social and family functioning. We aimed to evaluate the effectiveness of Transdiagnostic Treatment Program (TTP) on clinical symptoms and emotion regulation in girl’s adolescents with PMS.
Methods: This experimental trial study was carried out on 32 girls adolescents with PMS referred to two medical centers located in Tehran, Iran from Mar 21, 2019, to Oct. The patients randomized in 2 groups, 1-intervention (n=16, 8 sessions, 90-minute weekly) and 2-control (n=10).The PMS Screening Tool (PSST) and Emotion Regulation Questionnaire (ERQ) before and after treatment were filled out by participant. The SPSS software and P<0.05 considered for data analysis and as significant levels respectively.
Results: The study sample was 32 girls adolescents with PMS (mean age intervention and control were 16.30±2.02 and 16.40±1.6, P=0.915). The score of two questionnaires, PSST (symptom, effect) and ERQ (cognitive reappraisal, suppression) between two groups in before treatment were the same. After intervention the change of variable symptom (-1.05 vs -0.02, P<0.001), effect (-0.53 vs -0.04, P<0.001), cognitive reappraisal (0.67 vs 0.02, P<0.001) and suppression (-0.64 vs -0.07, P<0.001) were significant between two groups.
Conclusion: TTP is an effective technique for controlling clinical symptoms and emotion regulation in girl’s adolescents with PMS.
2. Hofmeister S, Bodden S (2016). Premenstrual Syndrome and Premenstrual Dysphoric Disorder. Am Fam Physician, 94:236-40.
3. Yonkers KA, Simoni MK (2018). Premenstrual disorders. Am J Obstet Gynecol, 218:68-74.
4. Kazdin AE (2017). Addressing the treatment gap: A key challenge for extending evidence-based psychosocial interventions. Behav Res Ther, 88:7-18.
5. Walton L, Machamer L, Asumbrado R, Behrens M (2018). Relationship between Nutrition (REAP), Exercise (VSAQ), and Stress on Premenstrual Syndrome Severity (PSST): Correlation, Cross-Section, Purposive Sample of 75 Females Ages 18-55. Physiother Rehabil, 3:2573-0312.1000158.
6. Czajkowska M, Drosdzol-Cop A, Gałązka I, Naworska B, Skrzypulec-Plinta V (2015). Menstrual cycle and the prevalence of premenstrual syndrome/premenstrual dysphoric disorder in adolescent athletes. J Pediatr Adolesc Gynecol, 28:492-498.
7. Rapkin AJ, Mikacich JA (2013). Premenstrual dysphoric disorder and severe premenstrual syndrome in adolescents. Paediatr Drugs, 15:191-202.
8. Ranjbaran M, Omani Samani R, Almasi-Hashiani A, Matourypour P, Moini A (2017). Prevalence of premenstrual syndrome in Iran: A systematic review and meta-analysis. Int J Reprod Biomed, 15:679-686.
9. Reuveni I, Dan R, Segman R, Evron R, Laufer S, Goelman G, Bonne O, Canetti L (2016). Emotional regulation difficulties and premenstrual symptoms among Israeli students. Arch Womens Ment Health, 19:1063-1070.
10. Wong LP, Khoo EM (2011). Menstrual-related attitudes and symptoms among multi-racial Asian adolescent females. Int J Behav Med, 18:246-253.
11. Padhy SK, Sarkar S, Beherre PB, Rathi R, Panigrahi M, Patil PS (2015). Relationship of premenstrual syndrome and premenstrual dysphoric disorder with major depression: relevance to clinical practice. Indian J Psychol Med, 37:159-64.
12. Bianco V, Cestari AM, Casati D, Cipriani S, Radici G, Valente I (2014). Premenstrual syndrome and beyond: lifestyle, nutrition, and personal facts. Minerva Ginecol, 66:365-75.
13. Dickerson LM, Mazyck PJ, Hunter MH (2003). Premenstrual syndrome. Am Fam Physician, 67:1743-52.
14. Liu Q, Wang Y, van Heck CH, Qiao W (2017). Stress reactivity and emotion in premenstrual syndrome. Neuropsychiatr Dis Treat, 13:1597-1602.
15. Ahlen J, Hursti T, Tanner L, Tokay Z, Ghaderi A (2018). Prevention of anxiety and depression in Swedish school children: a cluster-randomized effectiveness study. Prev Sci, 19:147-158.
16. Bentley KH, Boettcher H, Bullis JR, Carl JR, Conklin LR, Sauer-Zavala S, Pierre-Louis C, Farchione TJ, Barlow DH (2018). Development of a single-session, transdiagnostic preventive intervention for young adults at risk for emotional disorders. Behav Modif, 42:781-805.
17. Lundkvist‐Houndoumadi I, Thastum M (2017). Anxious Children and Adolescents Non‐responding to CBT: Clinical Predictors and Families' Experiences of Therapy. Clin Psychol Psychother, 24:82-93.
18. García-Escalera J, Valiente RM, Chorot P, Ehrenreich-May J, Kennedy SM, Sandín B (2017). The Spanish version of the unified protocol for transdiagnostic treatment of emotional disorders in adolescents (UP-A) adapted as a school-based anxiety and depression prevention program: Study protocol for a cluster randomized controlled trial. JMIR Res Protoc, 6:e149.
19. Barlow DH, Farchione TJ, Sauer-Zavala S, Latin HM, Ellard KK, Bullis JR, Bentley KH, Boettcher HT, Cassiello-Robbins C (2017). Unified protocol for transdiagnostic treatment of emotional disorders: Therapist guide. ed. Oxford University Press.
20. Newby JM, McKinnon A, Kuyken W, Gilbody S, Dalgleish T (2015). Systematic review and meta-analysis of transdiagnostic psychological treatments for anxiety and depressive disorders in adulthood. Clin Psychol Rev, 40:91-110.
21. Choi KW, Kim YK, Jeon HJ (2020). Comorbid Anxiety and Depression: Clinical and Conceptual Consideration and Transdiagnostic Treatment. Adv Exp Med Biol:9705-0_14.
22. Farchione TJ, Fairholme CP, Ellard KK, Boisseau CL, Thompson-Hollands J, Carl JR, Gallagher MW, Barlow DH (2012). Unified protocol for transdiagnostic treatment of emotional disorders: a randomized controlled trial. Behav Ther, 43:666-678.
23. Zemestani M, Imani M (2016). Effectiveness of transdiagnostic treatment on depression/anxiety symptoms and emotion regulation. Contemp Psychol, 11:21-32.
24. Williams LM (2016). Precision psychiatry: a neural circuit taxonomy for depression and anxiety. Lancet Psychiat, 3:472-480.
25. Grossman RA, Ehrenreich-May J (2020). Using the Unified Protocol for Transdiagnostic Treatment of Emotional Disorders With Youth Exhibiting Anger and Irritability. Cogn Behav Pract, 27:184-201.
26. Laposa JM, Mancuso E, Abraham G, Loli-Dano L (2017). Unified protocol transdiagnostic treatment in group format: a preliminary investigation with anxious individuals. Behav Modif, 41:253-268.
27. Talkovsky AM, Green KL, Osegueda A, Norton PJ (2017). Secondary depression in transdiagnostic group cognitive behavioral therapy among individuals diagnosed with anxiety disorders. J Anxiety Disord, 46:56-64.
28. Martinsen KD, Kendall PC, Stark K, Neumer S-P (2016). Prevention of anxiety and depression in children: acceptability and feasibility of the transdiagnostic EMOTION program. Cogn Behav Pract, 23:1-13.
29. Barlow DH, Farchione TJ, Bullis JR, et al (2017). The unified protocol for transdiagnostic treatment of emotional disorders compared with diagnosis-specific protocols for anxiety disorders: A randomized clinical trial. JAMA Psychiatry, 74:875-884.
30. Moradmand M, Khanbani M (2016). Efficacy of written emotional disclosure on self-efficacy and affective control in student with anxiety. Journal of Applied Psychology, 10:21-37.
31. Steiner M, Macdougall M, Brown E (2003). The premenstrual symptoms screening tool (PSST) for clinicians. Arch Womens Ment Health, 6:203-209.
32. Yen JY, Chang SJ, Long CY, Tang TC, Chen CC, Yen CF (2012). Working memory deficit in premenstrual dysphoric disorder and its associations with difficulty in concentrating and irritability. Compr Psychiatry, 53:540-545.
33. Hariri FZ, Moghaddam-Banaem L, Bazi SS, Malehi AS, Montazeri A (2013). The Iranian version of the Premenstrual Symptoms Screening Tool (PSST): a validation study. Arch Womens Ment Health, 16:531-537.
34. Gross JJ, John OP (2003). Individual differences in two emotion regulation processes: implications for affect, relationships, and well-being. J Pers Soc Psychol, 85:348.
35. Besharat MA (2016). Cognitive Emotion Regulation Questionnaire: Instruction and Scoring. Manag Inf Sys, 13:221-223.
36. Ryu A, Kim T-H (2015). Premenstrual syndrome: A mini review. Maturitas, 82:436-440.
37. Hoyer J, Burmann I, Kieseler M-L, et al (2013). Menstrual cycle phase modulates emotional conflict processing in women with and without premenstrual syndrome (PMS)–a pilot study. PLoS One, 8:e59780.
|Issue||Vol 51 No 6 (2022)|
|Premenstrual syndrome Transdiagnostic treatment program Adolescents|
|Rights and permissions|
|This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial 4.0 International License.|