Expression Patterns of miR181a and miR30d in Patients with Breast Cancer
Background: One of the important molecular pathways in breast cancer is the PTEN-PI3K-AKT pathway. Any change in the activity of the PTEN gene can alter the PI3K-AKT pathway. Moreover, there are subsets of genes and pathways their expression changes by post-transcriptional regulations. For instance, gene regulation alters by non-coding RNAs such as micro-RNAs as post-transcriptional regulators that prevent the expression of the target transcript. Therefore, it is essential to assess the related alterations in micro-RNA expression patterns to find out the possible causes of conversions in related transcripts and pathways such as the PTEN-PI3K-AKT pathway in breast cancer.
Methods: To determine the expression level of miR-181a and miR-30d in 30 breast tumor samples and 30 adjacent normal samples, the RNA extraction, and cDNA synthesis was performed by RiboEx (GeneAll, Korea). Finally, the Real-Time PCR method was used for quantitative analysis of the expression levels of these miRNAs. all the experimental part of the project in done at Islamic Azad University in 2017.
Results: After analyzing comparisons in the expression level of miR-181a and miR-30d in tumor and normal tissues, there was a significant increase in the expression level of miR-181a in tumor samples compared with normal samples. Moreover, the expression level of miR-30d in tumor samples reported a significant decrease in comparison with normal samples (P<0.05).
Conclusion: Upregulation of miR-181a may affect the transcription of the PTEN gene resulting in the cell progress to cancer. The Downregulation of miR-30d may also lead to cancer cell growth, due to a reduction in the affecting on the CREB gene transcript.
2. Dandawate PR, Subramaniam D, Jensen RA, Anant S (2016). Targeting cancer stem cells and signaling pathways by phy-tochemicals: Novel approach for breast cancer therapy. Semin Cancer Biol, 40-41: 192-208.
3. de la Mare JA, Contu L, Hunter MC, et al (2014). Breast cancer: current develop-ments in molecular approaches to diag-nosis and treatment. Recent Pat Anticancer Drug Discov, 9(2): 153-175.
4. Wu L, Yang X (2018). Targeting the Hippo Pathway for Breast Cancer Therapy. Can-cers (Basel), 10(11) : 422.
5. Keniry M, Parsons R (2008).. The role of PTEN signaling perturbations in cancer and in targeted therapy. Oncogene, 27(41): 5477-5485.
6. Leslie NR, Foti M (2011). Non-genomic loss of PTEN function in cancer: not in my genes . Trends Pharmacol Sci, 32(3): 131-140.
7. Wahid F, Shehzad A, Khan T, Kim YY (2010). MicroRNAs: synthesis, mecha-nism, function, and recent clinical trials. Biochim Biophys Acta, 1803(11): 1231-1243.
8. Wang F, Hou J, Jin W, et al (2014). Increased circulating microRNA-155 as a potential biomarker for breast cancer screening: a meta-analysis. Molecules, 19(5): 6282-6293.
9. Cohen MS, Chen YQ, McCauley M, et al (2014). Prevention of HIV-1 infection with early antiretroviral therapy. N Engl J Med, 365(6): 493-505.
10. Shenouda SK, Alahari SK (2009). Mi-croRNA function in cancer: oncogene or a tumor suppressor?. Cancer Metastasis Rev, 28(3-4): 369-378.
11. Huang Y, Shen XJ, Zou Q, Wang SP, Tang SM, Zhang GZ (2011). Biological func-tions of microRNAs: a review. J Physiol Biochem, 67(1): 129-139.
12. Bisso A, Faleschini M, Zampa F, et al (2013). Oncogenic miR-181a/b affect the DNA damage response in aggressive breast cancer. Cell Cycle, 12(11): 1679-1687.
13. Maritz J, Benatar M, Dave JA, et al (2010). HIV neuropathy in South Africans: fre-quency, characteristics, and risk factors. Muscle Nerve, 41(5): 599-606.
14. Hook MA, Moreno G, Woller S, et al (2019). Intrathecal morphine attenuates recovery of function after a spinal cord injury. J Neurotrauma, 26(5): 741-752.
15. Do Canto LM, Marian C, Willey S, et al (2016). MicroRNA analysis of breast duc-tal fluid in breast cancer patients. Int J On-col, 48(5): 2071-2078.
16. Lin ZY, Chen G, Zhang YQ, et al (2017). MicroRNA-30d promotes angiogenesis and tumor growth via MYPT1/c-JUN/VEGFA pathway and predicts ag-gressive outcome in prostate cancer. Mol Cancer, (1): 48.
17. Chang S, Chen B, Wang X, Wu K, Sun Y (2017). Long non-coding RNA XIST regulates PTEN expression by sponging miR-181a and promotes hepatocellular carcinoma progression. BMC Cancer, 17(1): 248.
18. Chen C, Ridzon DA, Broomer AJ, et al (2005). Real-time quantification of mi-croRNAs by stem-loop RT-PCR. Nucleic Acids Res, 33(20): e179.
19. Ataollahi MR, Sharifi J, Paknahad MR, Pak-nahad A (2015). Breast cancer and asso-ciated factors: a review. J Med Life. (8): 6-11.
20. Assi HA, Khoury KE, Dbouk H, Khalil LE, Mouhieddine TH, El Saghir NS (2013). Epidemiology and prognosis of breast cancer in young women. J Thorac Dis. (5): 2-S.
21. Nwabo Kamdje AH, Seke Etet PF, Vecchio L, Muller JM, Krampera M, Lukong KE (2014). Signaling pathways in breast can-cer: therapeutic targeting of the microen-vironment. Cell Signal., 26(12): 2843-2856.
22. Zhang X, Nie Y, Du Y, Cao J, Shen B, Li Y (2012). MicroRNA-181a promotes gastric cancer by negatively regulating tumor suppressor KLF6. Tumour Biol, 33(5): 1589-1597.
23. Yang J, He Y, Zhai N, Ding S, Li J, Peng Z (2018). MicroRNA-181a inhibits autoph-agy by targeting Atg5 in hepatocellular carcinoma. Front Biosci (Landmark Ed), 23(2): 388-396.
24. Liu J, Xing Y, Rong L (2018). miR-181 regu-lates cisplatin-resistant non-small cell lung cancer via downregulation of autophagy through the PTEN/PI3K/AKT pathway. Oncol Rep, 39(4): 1631-1639.
25. Chen D, Guo W, Qiu Z, et al (2015). Mi-croRNA-30d-5p inhibits tumour cell pro-liferation and motility by directly targeting CCNE2 in non-small cell lung cancer. Cancer Lett, 362(2): 208-217.
26. Yan L, Qiu J, Yao J (2017). Downregulation of microRNA-30d promotes cell prolif-eration and invasion by targeting LRH-1 in colorectal carcinoma. Int J Mol Med, 39(6): 1371-1380.
|Issue||Vol 51 No 7 (2022)|
|Breast Cancer Micro RNAs Real-time PCR Post-transcriptional regulation|
|Rights and permissions|
|This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial 4.0 International License.|