Diagnostic Values of miR-221-3p in Serum and Cerebrospinal Fluid for Post-Stroke Depression and Analysis of Risk Factors
Background: We aimed to explore the diagnostic values of miR-221-3p in serum and cerebrospinal fluid (CSF) for post-stroke depression (PSD) and to analyze the risk factors of the disease.
Methods: Admitted to the Second Affiliated Hospital of Harbin Medical University, Harbin, China from May 2013 to May 2020, 136 stroke patients were enrolled, among which 76 PSD patients were taken as a PSD group and 60 non-depressed patients were taken as a Non-PSD group. miR-221-3p expression in serum and CSF and concentrations of inflammatory cytokines (IL-6, TNF-α) in serum were detected, to analyze the diagnostic and prognostic values of the indicators for PSD. Correlations of miR-221-3p in serum with that in CSF, with the National Institute of Health Stroke Scale (NIHSS) score and the Hamilton Depression Rating Scale (HAMD) score, and with inflammatory cytokines were analyzed, so as to analyze the risk factors affecting the occurrence of PSD.
Results: Compared with the Non-PSD group, miR-221-3p remarkably upregulated in serum and CSF in the PSD group, and its areas under the curves (AUCs) for PSD identification were 0.900 and 0.925, respectively. According to the correlation analysis, miR-221-3p in serum was remarkably positively correlated with that in CSF, NIHSS score, HAMD score, IL-6 and TNF-α. In addition, a history of mental illness, NIHSS score, HAMD score, IL-6, TNF-α and miR-221-3p were risk factors of PSD.
Conclusion: miR-221-3p in serum and CSF can be used as the diagnostic and risk warning indicators of PSD.
2. Robinson RG, Jorge RE (2016). Post-stroke depression: a review. Am J Psychiatry, 173(3): 221-231.
3. Zhang Y, Jiang H, Yue Y, et al (2017). The protein and mRNA expression levels of glial cell line-derived neurotrophic factor in post stroke depression and major de-pressive disorder. Sci Rep, 7(1): 8674.
4. Wan Y, Liu Y, Wang X, et al (2015). Identi-fication of differential microRNAs in cer-ebrospinal fluid and serum of patients with major depressive disorder. PLoS One, 10(3): e0121975.
5. Kakumani PK, Harvey LM, Houle F, et al (2020). CSDE1 controls gene expression through the miRNA-mediated decay ma-chinery. Life Sci Alliance, 3(4): e201900632.
6. Huang S, Zhao J, Huang D, et al (2016). Se-rum miR-132 is a risk marker of post-stroke cognitive impairment. Neurosci Lett, 615: 102-106.
7. He JR, Zhang Y, Lu WJ, et al (2017). Age-Related Frontal Periventricular White Mat-ter Hyperintensities and miR-92a-3p Are Associated with Early-Onset Post-Stroke Depression. Front Aging Neurosci, 9: 328.
8. Sørensen SS, Nygaard AB, Nielsen MY, et al (2014). miRNA expression profiles in cerebrospinal fluid and blood of patients with acute ischemic stroke. Transl Stroke Res, 5(6): 711-718.
9. Liang H, He J, Tu X, et al (2019). Mi-croRNA-140-5p: A novel circulating bi-omarker for early warning of late-onset post-stroke depression. J Psychiatr Res, 115: 129-141.
10. Kang HJ, Bae KY, Kim SW, et al (2016). Ef-fects of interleukin-6, interleukin-18, and statin use, evaluated at acute stroke, on post-stroke depression during 1-year fol-low-up. Psychoneuroendocrinology, 72: 156-160.
11. Panta A, Pandey S, Duncan IN, et al (2019). Mir363-3p attenuates post-stroke depres-sive-like behaviors in middle-aged female rats. Brain Behav Immun, 78: 31-40.
12. Wang M, Guo J, Dong LN, et al (2019). Cerebellar Fastigial Nucleus Stimulation in a Chronic Unpredictable Mild Stress Rat Model Reduces Post-Stroke Depression by Suppressing Brain Inflammation via the microRNA-29c/TNFRSF1A Signal-ing Pathway. Med Sci Monit, 25: 5594-5605.
13. Zhao F, Yue Y, Li L, et al (2018). Clinical practice guidelines for post-stroke de-pression in China. Braz J Psychiatry, 40(3): 325-334.
14. Kadoya M, Kaida K, Koike H, et al (2016). IgG4 anti-neurofascin155 antibodies in chronic inflammatory demyelinating poly-radiculoneuropathy: clinical significance and diagnostic utility of a conventional assay. J Neuroimmunol, 301: 16-22.
15. Yaghi S, Herber C, Boehme AK, et al (2017). The association between diffusion MRI‐defined infarct volume and NIHSS score in patients with minor acute stroke. J Neuroimaging, 27(4): 388-391.
16. Lin CH, Park C, McIntyre RS (2019). Early improvement in HAMD-17 and HAMD-7 scores predict response and remission in depressed patients treated with fluoxe-tine or electroconvulsive therapy. J Affect Disord, 253: 154-161.
17. Hu J, Zhou W, Zhou Z, et al (2019). Predic-tive value of inflammatory indicators for post-stroke depression in patients with ischemic stroke. Nan Fang Yi Ke Da Xue Xue Bao, 39(6): 665-671.
18. Babkair LA (2017). Risk factors for post-stroke depression: an integrative review. J Neurosci Nurs, 49(2): 73-84.
19. Hu J, Zhou W, Zhou Z, et al (2020). miR-22 and cerebral microbleeds in brainstem and deep area are associated with depres-sion one month after ischemic stroke. Braz J Med Biol Res, 53(5): e9162,
20. Zhang Y, Cheng L, Chen Y, et al (2016). Clinical predictor and circulating mi-croRNA profile expression in patients with early onset post-stroke depression. J Affect Disord, 193: 51-58.
21. Peng H, Yang H, Xiang X, et al (2020). Μi-croRNA 221 participates in cerebral is-chemic stroke by modulating endothelial cell function by regulating the PTEN/PI3K/AKT pathway. Exp Ther Med, 19(1): 443-450.
22. Lang Y, Li Y, Yu H, et al (2020). HOTAIR drives autophagy in midbrain dopamin-ergic neurons in the substantia nigra compacta in a mouse model of Parkin-son’s disease by elevating NPTX2 via miR-221-3p binding. Aging (Albany NY), 12(9): 7660-7678.
23. Dong Y, Zhang N, Zhao S, et al (2019). miR 221 3p and miR 15b 5p promote cell proliferation and invasion by targeting Axin2 in liver cancer. Oncol Lett, 18(6): 6491-6500.
24. Zhang Y, Huang H, Zhang Y, et al (2019). Combined Detection of Serum MiR-221-3p and MiR-122-5p Expression in Diag-nosis and Prognosis of Gastric Cancer. J Gastric Cancer, 19(3): 315-328.
25. Wang T, Jiang L, Wei X, et al (2019). Inhibi-tion of miR-221 alleviates LPS-induced acute lung injury via inactivation of SOCS1/NF-κB signaling pathway. Cell Cycle, 18(16): 1893-1907.
26. Feng J, Wang M, Li M, et al (2019). Serum miR-221-3p as a new potential biomarker for depressed mood in perioperative pa-tients. Brain Res, 1720: 146296.
27. Mu Y, Wang Z, Zhou J, et al (2018). Corre-lations of Post-stroke Depression with Inflammatory Response Factors. Iran J Public Health, 47(7): 988-993.
28. Quero L, Tiaden AN, Hanser E, et al (2019). miR-221-3p Drives the Shift of M2-Macrophages to a Pro-Inflammatory Function by Suppressing JAK3/STAT3 Activation. Front Immunol, 10: 3087.
29. Xu K, Meng Z, Xian X, et al (2020). LncRNA PVT1 induces chondrocyte apoptosis through upregulation of TNF-α in synoviocytes by sponging miR-211-3p. Mol Cell Probes, 52: 101560.
|Issue||Vol 50 No 6 (2021)|
|Post-stroke depression miR-221-3p Diagnosis Risk factors Inflammatory cytokines|
|Rights and permissions|
|This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial 4.0 International License.|