Forecasting of Daily Outpatient Visits Based on Genetic Programming
Background: The forecasting of daily outpatient visits has significant practical implications in outpatient clinic operation management, not only contributing to guiding long-term resource planning and scheduling but also making tactical resolutions for short-term adjustments on special days such as holidays. We here in propose an effective genetic programming (GP)-based forecasting model to predict daily outpatient visits (OV) in a primary hospital.
Methods: In the GP-based model, the holiday-based distance outlier mining algorithm was used to determine the holiday effect. In addition, solar terms were applied as the smallest unit to more accurately determine the impact of a change in the climate on the outpatient volume. A segmental learning strategy also was used to predict the daily outpatient volume for the time series data.
Results: The GP-based prediction could more effectively extract depth information from a finite training sample size and achieve a better performance for predicting daily outpatient visits, with lower root mean square error (RMSE) and higher coefficient of determination (R2) values, than the seasonal autoregressive integrated moving average (SARIMA) model in the time range of holidays and the holiday effect.
Conclusion: GP-based model can achieve better prediction performance by overcoming the shortcomings of the SARIMA model. The results can be applied to support decision-making and planning of outpatient clinic resources, to help managers implement periodic scheduling of available resources on the basis of periodic features, and to perform proactive scheduling of additional resources.
2. Kadri F, Harrou F, Chaabane S, Tahon C (2014). Time Series Modelling and Forecasting of Emergency Department Overcrowding. J Med Syst, 38:107.
3. Ting Z, Li L, Xinli Z, Yingkang S, Wenwu S (2017). Time-Series Approaches for Forecasting the Number of Hospital Daily Discharged Inpatients. IEEE J Biomed Health Inform, 21:515-526.
4. Calegari R, Fogliatto FS, Lucini FR (2016). Forecasting Daily Volume and Acuity of Patients in the Emergency Department. Comput Math Methods Med, 2016:3863268.
5. Abraham G, Byrnes GB, Bain CA (2009). Short-term forecasting of emergency inpatient flow. IEEE Trans Inf Technol Biomed, 13:380-8.
6. Garg B, Beg MMS, Ansari AQ (2012) A new computational fuzzy time series model to forecast number of outpatient visits. (ed)^(eds) IEEE Annual Meeting of North American of Fuzzy Information Processing Society (NAFIPS),
7. Landram FG, Abdullat A, Shah V (2011). Using seasonal and cyclical components in least squares forecasting models. Southwestern Economic Review.
8. Zhang X (2013). Prediction of hospital outpatient number based on GM. Chinese Journal of Hospital Statistics, 20:180-182.
9. Hinton GE, Osindero S, Teh YW (2006). A fast learning algorithm for deep belief nets. Neural Comput, 18:1527-54.
10. Bengio Y, Lamblin P, Popovici D, Larochelle H (2007). Greedy layer-wise training of deep networks.
11. Yang X, Zhong N (2016). Forecasting of hospital outpatient based in deep brief network. Computer Science, 43:26-30.
12. Hadavandi E, Shavandi H, Ghanbari A (2012). Developing a hybrid artificial intelligence model for outpatient visits forecasting in hospitals. Appl Soft Comput, 12:700-711.
13. Jiang S, Chin KS, Wang L, Qu G, Tsui KL (2017). Modified genetic algorithm-based feature selection combined with pre-trained deep neural network for demand forecasting in outpatient department. Expert Syst Appl, 82:216-230.
14. Mtonga K, Kumaran S, Mikeka C, et al (2019). Machine Learning-Based Patient Load Prediction and IoT Integrated Intelligent Patient Transfer Systems. Future Internet, 11:236.
15. Nelson A, Herron D, Rees G (2019). Predicting scheduled hospital attendance with artificial intelligence. npj Digit Med, 2:26.
16. Alaeddini A, Yang K, Reeves P, Reddy CK (2015). A hybrid prediction model for noshows and cancellations of outpatient appointments. IIE Transactions on Healthcare Systems Engineering, 5:14-32.
17. Klute B, Homb A, Chen W (2019). Predicting Outpatient Appointment Demand Using Machine Learning and Traditional Methods. J Med Syst, 43(9):288.
18. Zhang S (2013). Seasonal Analysis and Forecasting Research of Outpatient Visits in Traditional Chinese Medicine Hospital. Journal of Mathematical Medicine.
19. Zhu S, Wang D, Yanan HE, Yan W (2015). Hospital outpatient visit analysis and forecasting using time series models. Journal of University of Science & Technology of China.
20. Liang GL, Liu Y (2006). Applications of ARIMA model on predictive workload of out-patient department. Chinese Journal of Hospital Statistics.
21. Yang X (2018). Causative analysis of sudden accidents of patients in outpatient during visiting doctors and its precaution. System Medicine, 7:7-8.
22. Koza, JohnR (1992). Genetic programming : on the programming of computers by means of natural selection. ed. MIT Press.
23. Huang X, Tang C, Li Z (2003). A Gene Expression Programming Based Function Discovery Method. National Academic Conference on Database.
24. Zuo J (2004). Research on core technology of Gene Expression Programming. Sichuan University.
|Issue||Vol 51 No 6 (2022)|
|Daily outpatient visits Forecasting Time series data Genetic programming Outlier analysis|
|Rights and permissions|
|This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial 4.0 International License.|