The Economic Burden of Cancer in Iran during 1995-2019: A Systematic Review
Background: Cancer is the third cause of death following cardiovascular disease and accidents, in Iran. The purpose of this study was to systematically review the economic burden of cancer studies in Iran.
Methods: This systematic review examined the types of direct medical and non-medical costs and indirect costs in cancer patients and includes studies in English and Persian that were reviewed in Scopus, Web of science, SID, Iranmedex, Magiran and databases of Medline, etc., from 1995-2019.
Results: Twenty-one articles were included. Most studies have examined the direct costs of all types of cancers. The articles reviewed different types of cancer, such as prostate cancer (n=2), colorectal cancer (n=2), breast cancer (n=4), gastric cancer (n=2), oral and pharyngeal cancer (n=1), lung cancer (n=3), and blood cancer (n=4). The great number of studies were related to the gastrointestinal, breast and blood cancers. The gastrointestinal (gastric and colorectal) and breast cancer had the major economic burden than others.
Conclusion: It is necessary that special attention to patients, supportive measures to reduce the share of costs, and more budget allocation for prevention, screening and early detection being at priorities in the health system planning.
2. World - Global Cancer Observatory. 2018. Available at: https://gco.iarc.fr/today/data/factsheets/populations/900-world-fact-sheets.pdf
3. Global Cancer Facts & Figures. 2020. Available at: https://www.cancer.org/research/cancer-facts-statistics/global.html
4. Iran, Islamic Republic of - Global Cancer Observatory. 2018. Available at: https://gco.iarc.fr/today/data/factsheets/populations/364-iran-islamic-republic-of-fact-sheets.pdf
5. Mohammadian M, Salehiniya H, Mohammadian-Hafshejani A (2017). Some Facts on Incidence and Mortality of Cancer in Iran. Iran J Public Health, 46(10):1446-7.
6. Farhood B, Geraily G, Alizadeh A (2018). Incidence and Mortality of Various Cancers in Iran and Compare to Other Countries: A Review Article. Iran J Public Health, 47(3):309-316.
7. Mohammadi G, Esmaeil Akbari M, Mehrabi Y, et al (2017). Analysis of Cancer Incidence and Mortality in Iran Using Joinpoint Regression Analysis. Iranian Red Crescent Medical Journal, 19 (3): e42071.
8. Andrade PG, Sacristán JA, Dilla, T (2017). The Economic Burden of Cancer in Spain: A Literature Review. Health Econ Outcome Res,3(1):2-8.
9. Luengo-Fernandez R, Leal J, Gray A, et al (2013). Economic burden of cancer across the European Union: a population-based cost analysis. Lancet Oncol, 14(12):1165-74.
10. Yabroff KR, Lund J, Kepka D, et al (2011). Economic burden of cancer in the United States: estimates, projections, and future research. Cancer Epidemiol Biomarkers Prev, 20(10):2006-2014.
11. Moher D, Liberati A, Tetzlaff J, et al (2009). Preferred reporting items for systematic reviews and meta-analyses: the PRISMA statement. PLoS Med, 6(7):e1000097.
12. Mojahedian MM, Toroski M, Keshavarz K, et al (2019). Estimating the Cost of Illness of Prostate Cancer in Iran. Clin Ther, 41(1):50-8.
13. Foroughi Moghadam MJ, Ayati M, Rangchian M, et al (2019). Economic Burden of Prostate Cancer in Iran: Measuring Costs and Quality of Life. Middle East J Cancer, 10(2):139-155.
14. Vahdatimanesh Z, Zendehdel K, Akbari Sari AA, et al (2017). Economic burden of colorectal cancer in Iran in 2012. Med J Islam Repub Iran, 31:115.
15. Daroudi R, Sari AA, Nahvijou A, et al (2015). The economic burden of breast cancer in Iran. Iran J Public Health, 44(9):1225-1233
16. Haghighat S, Akbari ME, Ghaffari S, et al (2013). Health expenditure in initial diagnostic and treatment approach to non-metastatic breast cancer in Iran. Iranian Quarterly Journal of Breast Dis-ease,6(2):14- 25
17. Rezapour A, Jahangiri R, Olyaeemanesh A, et al (2018). The economic burden of oral cancer in Iran. PloS One, 13(9):e0203059.
18. Rezaei S, Sari AA, Woldemichael A, et al (2016). Estimating the economic burden of lung cancer in Iran. Asian Pac J Cancer Prev, 17(10):4729–4733.
19. Mohagheghi MA, Mousavi-Jarrahi Y, Mosavi-Jarrahi A (2011). Cost of care for lung cancer in the first year after diagnosis in Iran. Asian Pac J Cancer Prev, 12(4): 1013-5.
20. Daroudi R, Mirzania M, Nikravanfard N, et al (2017). Estimation of the prevalence and direct medical costs of chronic myeloid leukemia in the IR of Iran in the era of tyrosine kinase inhibitors. Asia Pac J Clin Oncol, 13(5):e416-e422.
21. Hayati H, Kebriaeezadeh A, Ehsani M, et al (2018). Cost-analysis of treatment of pediatrics acute lymphoblastic leukemia based on ALL-BFM protocol. Int J Pediatr, 4(9): 3381-3389.
22. Hayati H, Kebriaeezadeh A, Ehsani MA, et al (2018). Cost-Analysis of Treatment of Child-hood Acute Lymphoblastic Leukemia Based on UKALL Protocol. Iranian Journal of Pedi-atrics, 28(6): e7985.
23. Bazyar M, Akbari F, Mahmoudi M (2012). Medical and non-medical direct costs of cancers in patients hospitalized in Imam Khomeini cancer institution-2010. JHOSP, 11(1):39-50.
24. Davari M, Maracy MR, Emami MH, et al (2012). The direct medical costs of colorectal Cancer in Iran; analyzing the Patient's level data from a Cancer specific Hospital in Isfahan. Int J Prev Med, 3(12): 887–92.
25. Davari M, Yazdanpanah F, Aslani A, et al (2013). The direct medical costs of breast cancer in Iran: Analyzing the patient's level data from a cancer specific hospital in Isfahan. Int J Prev Med, 4(7): 748–54.
26. Davari M, Moafi A, Yarmohammadian MH, et al (2015). The direct medical costs of acute lymphocytic leukemia (ALL) in children in Isfahan province. J Health Inf Manag, 11(7):1047-57.
27. Izadi A, Sirizi MJ, Jaffari Sirizi M, et al (2016). Evaluating direct costs of gastric cancer treatment in Iran-case study in Kerman city in 2015. Asian Pac J Cancer Prev, 17(6):3007-13.
28. Farokhi Noori M, Holakouie Naieni K, Haghdoost A, et al (2012). Cost analysis for cancer subgroups in Kerman. IRAN. irje, 8(1):62-70.
29. Imani A, Janati A, Gholipoor K, et al (2015). Analysis and estimation of the direct and indirect costs of breast cancer in women attending Shahid Ghazi clinic, Tabriz, 2013. Depiction of Health, 5(3):13-9.
30. Eghdami A, Ostovar R, Jafari A, et al (2019). Economic Burden of Gastric Cancer: A Case of Iran. Cancer Control, 26(1):1073274819837185.
31. Akbarzadeh BA, Esmaeili M, kimiafar k (2009). Medical information management and assessment of direct costs of treatment of lung cancer. Health Information Management, 5(2):151-158.
32. Bahmei J, Rahimi H, Jafari AS, et al (2015). Examination of medical and non-medical direct costs of outpatients and hospitalized cancer patients in Shiraz. Payesh, 14(6):629-637.
33. Cancer IAfRo (2018). Latest global cancer data: Cancer burden rises to 18.1 million new cases and 9.6 million cancer deaths in 2018. International Agency for Research on Cancer: Lyon, France.
34. Abdolahi HM, Asiabar AS, Azami-Aghdash S, et al (2018). Cost-effectiveness of colorectal cancer screening and treatment methods: mapping of systematic reviews. Asia Pac J Oncol Nurs, 5(1): 57-67.
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial 4.0 International License.