Expression, Proliferation and Apoptosis of miR‑92b in Oral Squamous Cell Carcinoma
Background: Expression of miR‑92b in oral squamous cell carcinoma (OSCC) rat tissue and its effect on the OSCC CAL‑27 cells were investigated.
Methods: The study was performed in Qingdao Stomatological Hospital, Qingdao, China on December 2018. Thirty Wistar rats were used to construct models of oral squamous cell carcinoma. CAL‑27 cells trascfected by Lipofectamine 2000 were divided into miR‑92b inhibitor, miR‑NC and blank groups. RT‑qPCR was used for the detection of the expression level of miR‑92b, and MTT and flow cytometry were carried out for the detection of the effect of miR‑92b on the proliferation and apoptosis of CAL‑27 cells, respectively.
Results: The expression level of miR‑92b was significantly higher in tumor tissues than that in normal tissues (P<0.001). The miR‑92b inhibitor group had significantly lower proliferation ability but higher apoptosis rate of CAL‑27 cells than the miR‑NC and blank groups. After miR‑92b was downregulated by trans-fecting cells, the expression level of miR‑92b was significantly lower in the miR‑92b inhibitor group than that in the miR‑NC and blank groups.
Conclusion: miR‑92b inhibitor can inhibit the proliferation of CAL‑27 cells and promote apoptosis, which provides certain references for clinical treatment. It is expected to be a potential target for treating OSCC.
2. Ferlay J, Soerjomataram I, Dikshit R et al (2015). Cancer incidence and mortality worldwide: Sources, methods and major patterns in GLOBOCAN 2012. Int J Can-cer, 136: E359‑E386.
3. Taghavi N, Yazdi I (2015). Prognostic fac-tors of survival rate in oral squamous cell carcinoma: Clinical, histologic, genetic and molecular concepts. Arch Iran Med, 18: 314‑319.
4. Liu CJ, Liu TY, Kuo LT et al (2008). Differ-ential gene expression signature between primary and metastatic head and neck squamous cell carcinoma. J Pathol, 214: 489‑497.
5. Uesugi A, Kozaki K, Tsuruta T et al (2011). The tumor suppressive microRNA miR‑218 targets the mTOR component Rictor and inhibits AKT phosphorylation in oral cancer. Cancer Res, 71: 5765‑5778.
6. Fendler A, Jung K (2013). MicroRNAs as new diagnostic and prognostic bi-omarkers in urological tumors. Crit Rev Oncog, 18: 289‑302.
7. Schickel R, Boyerinas B, Park SM, Peter ME (2008). MicroRNAs: Key players in the immune system, differentiation, tumor-igenesis and cell death. Oncogene, 27: 5959‑5974.
8. Chen F, Hu SJ (2012). Effect of mi-croRNA‑34a in cell cycle, differ-entiation, and apoptosis: A review. J Biochem Mol Toxicol, 26: 79‑86.
9. Yen YC, Shiah SG, Chu HC et al (2014). Reciprocal regu-lation of microRNA‑99a and insulin‑like growth factor I receptor signaling in oral squamous cell carcinoma cells. Mol Cancer, 13: 6.
10. Zhuang LK, Yang YT, Ma X et al (2016). MicroRNA‑92b promotes hepatocellular carcinoma progression by targeting Smad7 and is mediated by long non‑coding RNA XIST. Cell Death Dis, 7: e2203.
11. Zhou Z, Wang Z, Wei H, Wu S, Wang X, Xiao J (2016). Promotion of tumor pro-liferation, migration and invasion by miR‑92b in targeting RECK in osteosar-coma. Clin Sci (Lond), 130: 921‑930.
12. Wang K, Wang X, Zou J et al (2013). miR‑92b controls glioma proliferation and invasion through regulating Wnt/beta‑catenin signaling via Nemo‑like kinase. Neuro‑oncol, 15: 578‑588.
13. Mohelnikova-Duchonova B, Oliverius M, Honsova E, Soucek P (2012). Evaluation of reference genes and normalization strategy forquantitative real-time PCR in human pancreatic carcinoma. Dis Markers, 32: 203‑210.
14. Vigneswaran N, Williams MD (2014). Epi-demiologic trends in head and neck can-cer and aids in diagnosis. Oral Maxillofac Surg Clin North Am, 26: 123‑141.
15. Chen YJ, Chang JT, Liao CT et al (2008). Head and neck cancer in the betel quid chewing area: Recent advances in molecu-lar carcinogenesis. Cancer Sci, 99: 1507‑1514.
16. Jian SL, Hsieh HY, Liao CT et al (2013). Gα12 drives invasion of oral squamous cell carcinoma through up‑regulation of proinflammatory cytokines. PLoS One, 8: e66133.
17. Bagan JV, Scully C (2008). Recent advances in Oral Oncology 2007: Epidemiology, aetiopathogenesis, diagnosis and prog-nostication. Oral Oncol, 44: 103‑108.
18. Albuquerque R, López‑López J, Marí‑Roig A, et al (2011). Oral tongue squamous cell carcinoma (OTSCC): Alcohol and tobac-co consumption versus non‑consumption. A study in a Portu-guese population. Braz Dent J, 22: 517‑521.
19. Kuo YB, Li YS, Chan EC (2015). Rapid identification of HPV 16 and 18 by mul-tiplex nested PCR‑immunochromatographic test. J Virol Methods, 212: 8‑11.
20. Hsieh CH, Chang JW, Hsieh JJ et al (2011). Epidermal growth factor receptor muta-tions in patients with oral cavity cancer in a betel nut chewing‑prevalent area. Head Neck, 33: 1758‑1764.
21. Reis PP, Tomenson M, Cervigne NK et al (2010). Programmed cell death 4 loss in-creases tumor cell invasion and is regulat-ed by miR‑21 in oral squamous cell car-cinoma. Mol Cancer, 9: 238.
22. Li C, Fan J, Song X et al (2013). Expression of angiopoietin‑2 and vascular endotheli-al growth factor receptor‑3 correlates with lymphangiogenesis and angiogenesis and affects survival of oral squamous cell carcinoma. PLoS One, 8: e75388.
23. Garzon R, Marcucci G, Croce CM (2010). Targeting microRNAsin cancer: Ra-tionale, strategies and challenges. Nat Rev Drug Discov, 9: 775‑789.
24. Liu Z, Diep C, Mao T et al (2015). Mi-croRNA‑92b promotes tumor growth and activation of NF‑κB signaling via regulation of NLK in oral squamous cell carcinoma. Oncol Rep, 34: 2961‑2968.
25. Song H, Zhang Y, Liu N et al (2016). miR‑92b regulates glioma cells prolifera-tion, migration, invasion, and apoptosis via PTEN/Akt signaling pathway. J Phys-iol Biochem, 72: 201‑211.
26. Lei L, Huang Y, Gong W (2014). Inhibition of miR‑92b suppresses nonsmall cell lung cancer cells growth and motility by targeting RECK. Mol Cell Biochem, 387: 171‑176.
|Issue||Vol 49 No 3 (2020)|
|miR-92; Rat Oral squamous cell carcinoma Cell proliferation Apoptosis|
|Rights and permissions|
|This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial 4.0 International License.|