The Effect of Interleukin-6 Gene Polymorphism on Pediatric Pneumonia
Background: To investigate the effect of interleukin-6 (IL-6) gene polymorphism on pediatric pneumonia.
Methods: Overall, 438 patients with pediatric pneumonia (Observation group) treated in Xuzhou Children Hospital, Cinna from July 2013 to July 2018 were randomly enrolled. Meanwhile, 423 healthy children (Control group) in the same time period were randomly selected. PCR was applied to amplify the IL-6-572 gene fragment. The IL-6-572 polymorphism was detected, and the impacts of gene polymorphism difference on pediatric pneumonia were observed.
Results: There were differences in the IL-6 genotypes between the two groups (P<0.05). Among the CG+GG genotypes in Observation group, G allele frequency was higher than that in control group (P<0.05). The risk of pediatric pneumonia for GC genotype was 2.13 times as high as that for CC genotype, and the risk of pediatric pneumonia for GG genotype was 5.56 times as high as that for CC genotype.
Conclusion: IL-6 gene polymorphism might be related to the pediatric pneumonia and the population with G allele at this locus may be more prone to pediatric pneumonia.
2. García-García ML, Calvo C, Pozo F, et al (2012). Spectrum of respiratory viruses in children with community-acquired pneu-monia. Pediatri Infect Dis J, 31: 808-813.
3. Philips CA, Sarin SK (2014). Potent antiviral therapy improves survival in acute on chronic liver failure due to hepatitis B vi-rus reactivation. World J Gastroenterol, 20: 16037-16052.
4. Alcoba G, Manzano S, Lacroix L, Galet-tolacour A, Gervaix A (2015). Proadre-nomedullin and copeptin in pediatric pneumonia: a prospective diagnostic ac-curacy study. BMC Infect Dis, 15: 347.
5. Keren R, Luan X, Localio R, et al (2012). Prioritization of comparative effectiveness research topics in hospital pediatrics. Arch Pediatr Adolesc Med, 166: 1155-1164.
6. Bradley JS, Byington CL, Shah SS, et al (2011). Executive summary: the manage-ment of community-acquired pneumonia in infants and children older than 3 months of age: clinical practice guidelines by the Pediatric Infectious Diseases So-ciety and the Infectious Diseases Society of America. Clin Infect Dis, 53: 617-630.
7. Hunter CA, Jones SA (2015). IL-6 as a key-stone cytokine in health and disease. Nat Immunol, 16: 448-457.
8. Jain S, Self WH, Wunderink RG, et al (2015). Community-Acquired Pneumonia Requir-ing Hospitalization among U.S. Adults. N Engl J Med, 373: 415-427.
9. Lauderdale TL, Chang FY, Ben RJ, et al (2005). Etiology of community acquired pneumonia among adult patients requir-ing hospitalization in Taiwan. Respir Med, 99: 1079-86.
10. Self WH, Grijalva CG, Zhu Y, et al (2013). Rates of emergency department visits due to pneumonia in the United States, July 2006-June 2009. Acad Emerg Med, 20: 957-960.
11. Griffin MR, Zhu Y, Moore MR, Whitney CG, Grijalva CG (2013). U.S. hospitaliza-tions for pneumonia after a decade of pneumococcal vaccination. N Engl J Med, 369: 155-163.
12. Rossi JF, Lu ZY, Jourdan M, Klein B (2015). Interleukin-6 as a therapeutic target. Clin Cancer Res, 21: 1248-1257.
13. 13 Andrijevic I, Matijasevic J, Andrijevic L, Kovacevic T, Zaric B (2014). Interleukin-6 and procalcitonin as biomarkers in mor-tality prediction of hospitalized patients with community acquired pneumonia. Ann Thorac Med, 9: 162-167.
14. Zidan HE, Elbehedy RM, Azab SF (2014). IL6-174 G/C gene polymorphism and its relation to serum IL6 in Egyptian chil-dren with community-acquired pneumo-nia. Cytokine, 67: 60-64, 2014.
15. Chou SC, Ko HW, Lin YC (2016). CRP/IL-6/IL-10 Single-Nucleotide Polymor-phisms Correlate with the Susceptibility and Severity of Community-Acquired Pneumonia. Genet Test Mol Biomarkers, 20: 732-740.
16. Tartter M, Hammen C, Bower JE, Brennan PA, Cole S (2015). Effects of Chronic In-terpersonal Stress Exposure on Depres-sive Symptoms are Moderated by Genet-ic Variation at IL6 and IL1β in Youth. Brain Behav Immun, 46: 104-111.
17. Leng S, Thomas CL, Snider AM, et al (2016). Radon Exposure, IL-6 Promoter Variants, and Lung Squamous Cell Carci-noma in Former Uranium Miners. Envi-ron Health Perspect, 124: 445-451.
18. Jia W, Fei GH, Hu JG, Hu XW (2015). A study on the effect of IL-6 gene poly-morphism on the prognosis of non-small-cell lung cancer. Onco Targets Ther, 8: 2699-2704.
19. Kang S, Tanaka T, Kishimoto T (2015). Therapeutic uses of anti-interleukin-6 re-ceptor antibody. Int Immunol, 27: 21-29.
20. O'Reilly S, Cant R, Ciechomska M, van Laar JM (2013). Interleukin-6: a new therapeu-tic target in systemic sclerosis? Clin Transl Immunology, 2: e4.