Seroprevalence of Cystic Echinococcosis Using Recombinant Antigen B-ELISA in North Khorasan Province, Northeast of Iran
Background: Cystic echinococcosis (CE) is one of the most important helminthic parasitic diseases in Iran. The current study aimed to assess the seroprevalence of CE in North Khorasan Province, Northeast of Iran in 2018.
Methods: The study was carried out in seven cities of North Khorasan Province. Venous blood samples were collected from 932 individuals referring to health centers of those seven cities. A questionnaire was used to obtain the data regarding the subject's gender, age, residence and risk factors linked to the hydatid cyst. Sera samples were evaluated for anti-hydatid cyst antibodies in an ELISA system, using a recombinant B8/1 antigen of E. granulosus.
Results: Of the 932 recruited subjects, 496 (53.2%) were male and 436 (46.8%) were female. The range of participants’ age was between 11 to 83 yr old and the mean age of the subjects was 35.4 (±12.7) years. Anti-hydatid cyst antibodies were detected in the sera of 37 out of 932 subjects, corresponding to a seroprevalence rate of 3.96%. From these, 20 (54.05%) were male and 17 (45.95%) were female. There were no associations between seropositivity to hydatid cyst and age, the gender of the participants, residential areas and having contact with dogs (P>0.05).
Conclusion: CE is relatively prevalent throughout the North Khorasan Province in the Northeast of Iran. Rate of CE infection in this Province is somewhat similar to the rate of infection in other parts of the country.
2. Craig PS, Hegglin D, Lightowlers MW, et al (2017). Echinococcosis: Control and prevention. Adv Parasitol, 96:55-158.
3. Galeh TM, Spotin A, Mahami-Oskouei M, et al (2018). The seroprevalence rate and population genetic structure of human cystic echinococcosis in the Middle East: A systematic review and meta-analysis. Int J Surg, 51:39-48.
4. Sarkari B, Hosseini F, Abdolahi Khabisi S, Sedaghat F (2016). Seroprevalence of cystic echinococcosis in blood donors in Fars province, southern Iran. Parasite Epi-demiol Control, 2:8-12.
5. Sarkari B, Sadjjadi SM, Beheshtian MM, Aghaee M, Sedaghat F (2010). Human cystic echinococcosis in Yasuj District in Southwest of Iran: an epidemiological study of seroprevalence and surgical cas-es over a ten-year period. Zoonoses Public Health, 57:146-50.
6. Shafiei R TS (2016). The seroprevalence of human cystic echinococcosis in Iran: A systematic review and meta-analysis study. J Parasitol Res, 2016:1425147.
7. Dabaghzadeh H, Bairami A, Kia EB, et al (2018). Seroprevalence of human cystic echinococcosis in Alborz Province, Cen-tral Iran in 2015. Iran J Public Health, 47:561-566.
8. Fallah Omrani V, Rouhani S, Kazemi B, et al (2017). Seroprevalence of IgG antibodies against Echinococcus granulosus by ELISA method using recombinant AgB in Lorestan Province, Western Iran. Iran J Public Health, 46:1132-1138.
9. Heidari Z, Mohebali M, Zarei Z, et al (2011). Seroepidemiological study of human hy-datidosis in Meshkinshahr district, Arda-bil province, Iran. Iran J Parasitol, 6:19-25.
10. Fasihi Harandi M, Budke CM, Rostami S (2012). The monetary burden of cystic echinococcosis in Iran. PLoS Negl Trop Dis, 6:e1915.
11. Sarkari B, Rezaei Z (2015). Immunodiagno-sis of human hydatid disease: Where do we stand? World J Methodol, 5:185-95.
12. Savardashtaki A, Sarkari B, Arianfar F, Mo-stafavi-Pour Z (2017). Immunodiagnostic Value of Echinococcus Granulosus Recombi-nant B8/1 Subunit of Antigen B. Iran J Immunol, 14:111-122.
13. Sarkari B, Arefkhah N, Ghorbani F, et al (2019). Seroprevalence of Cystic Echino-coccosis and related risk factors for in-fection among children in a rural com-munity in Fars Province, Southern Iran. Clin Epidemiol Glob Health, 8:13-16.
14. Arbabi M HH (2006). Survey of echinococ-cosis and hydatidosis in Kashan region, central Iran. Iran J Public Health, 35:75-81.
15. Asghari M MM, Kia EB, Farahnak A, et al (2013). Seroepidemiology of Human Hy-datidosis Using AgB-ELISA Test in Ar-ak, Central Iran. Iran J Public Health, 42:391-6.
16. Dadkhah MA YM, Nader B (2011). Survey on hydatid cyst infection in Sarab city (Northwest of Iran) using epidemiologi-cal and seroepidemiological criteria. J Anim Vet Adv, 10:2099-2101.
17. Esmaeili N AM (2010). Seroepidemiology of hydatidosis among adult human at Kashan region, Iran in 2008. Journal of Kashan University of Medical Sciences, 13:321-6.
18. Garedaghi Y, Bahavarnia SR (2011). Seroep-idemiology of human hydatidosis by ELISA method in East-Azarbaijan Prov-ince in Iran in Year 2009. Iran J Epidemiol, 7:25-9.
19. Shafiei R, Ghatee MA, Jafarzadeh F, Javan-shir Z, Karamian M (2019). Genotyping and phylogenetic analysis of unusually lo-cated hydatid cysts isolated from humans in north-east Iran. J Helminthol. 23;94:e64.
20. Akhlaghi L MJ, Housaini A (2005). Obser-vation on hydatid cyst Infection in Kur-distan Province (West of Iran) using epi-demiological and seroepidemiological cri-teria. Iran J Public Health, 34:73-5.
21. Zariffard MR AN, Akhavizadegan MA, Motamedi GR (1999). Seroepidemiologi-cal survey of human hydatidosis in west-ern parts of Iran. Arch Razi Ins, 50:71–75.
22. Aflaki A GF, Dalimi Asl A (2006). Seroepi-demiological survey of hydatidosis by Dot- ELISA in Ilam Province. Pathobiol Res, 8:1-6.
23. Moshfe A, Sarkari B, Arefkhah N, et al (2019). Seroepidemiological study of cyst-ic echinococcosis in nomadic communi-ties in the southwest of Iran: A popula-tion-based study. J Immunoassay Immuno-chem, 40(2):183-192.
24. Yousefi Darani H AM, Karimi K, et al (2003). Seroepidemiology of hydatid cyst in Chaharmahal va Bakhtiari Province, Iran. Iran J Public Health, 32:31-3.
25. Zibaei M, Azargoon A, Ataie-Khorasgani M, et al (2013). The serological study of cyst-ic echinococcosis and assessment of sur-gical cases during 5 years (2007-2011) in Khorram Abad, Iran. Niger J Clin Pract, 16:221-5.
|Issue||Vol 50 No 3 (2021)|
|Seroprevalence Cystic echinococcosis Recombinant antigen B-ELISA Iran|
|Rights and permissions|
|This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial 4.0 International License.|