Quality of Life of People with HIV/AIDS in Iran: A Systematic Review and Meta-Analysis
Background: Assessing the quality of life in HIV/AIDS patients is of great importance not only for evaluating the effect of the disease, but also to measure the impact of the interventions in order to improve their quality of life in clinical researches. Therefore, this study aimed to systematically review the quality of life of HIV/AIDS patients in Iran.
Methods: In this systematic review and meta-analysis, the literature search using the related chain of keywords was conducted from 1 Jan 1987 to 30 Apr 2019 in PubMed, Scopus, Web of Science, Embase, Iranian Scientific Information Database (SID), and Magiran. Moreover, hand search of the key journals and the gray literature was performed. The meta-analysis was performed by CMA2 software.
Results: Out of the 1576 retrieved records, eight studies met the inclusion criteria. The average age of the patients was 37.15 ± 9.46 years. The average score of quality of life before and after sensitivity analysis was (39.13 [28.36-49.901 95% CI P>0.000] vs. 49.05 [46.31-51.79 95% CI P>0.000]). Moreover, the average score of quality of life was respectively 38.86±3.83 vs. 40±6.37 among married compared with single patients, 56.33±4.67 vs. 43.64±1.94 for employment vs. unemployment status. While quality of life was measured in terms of education level, the score was 29.59±9.34 vs. 41.65±4.45 in the individuals with primary school versus academic education.
Conclusion: The QOL score of the HIV/AIDS patients in Iran was significantly low. Therefore, the study highlights the importance of strengthening efforts to undertake necessary investigations in order to provide adequate health insurance, extensive and affordable welfare services, and more appropriate social and mental supports in order to improve the quality of life of the individuals with HIV/AIDS in Iran.
2. Amini Lari M, Faramarzi H, Shams M, et al (2013). Sexual Dysfunction, Depression and Quality of Life in Patients With HIV Infection. Iran J Psychiatry Behav Sci, 7(1):61-8.
3. Aranda-Naranjo B )2004(. Quality of life in the HIV-positive patient: implications and consequences. J Assoc Nurses AIDS Care, 15(5):20-7.
4. Azami-Aghdash S, Ghojazadeh M, Naghavi-Behzad M et al (2019). A pilot study of fear of disease consequences and its relationship with quality of life, depression and anxiety in patients with multiple sclerosis. Int Arch Health Sci, 6(3):132.
5. Barreto Soares G, Saliba Garbin CA, Saliba Rovida TA, et al, (2015). Qualidade de vida de pessoas que vivem com HIV/AIDS assistidas no serviço especializado em Vitória (ES), Brasil. Ciência & Saúde Coletiva, 20(4): 1075-1084.
6. Fauci AS, Clifford Lane H (2008). Human immunodeficiency virus disease: AIDS and related disease. Harrison's Internal Medicine.1137-204.
7. Razani N, Mohraz M, Kheirandish P, et al (2007). HIV risk behavior among injection drug users in Tehran, Iran. Addiction, 102(9):1472-82.
8. Smith KW, Larson MJ (2003). Quality of life assessments by adult substance abusers receiving publicly funded treatment in Massachusetts. Am J Drug Alcohol Abuse, 29(2):323-35.
9. Howland LC, Storm DS, Crawford SL, et al (2007). Negative life events: risk to health-related quality of life in children and youth with HIV infection. J Assoc Nurses AIDS Care, 18(1):3-11.
10. Douaihy A, Singh N (2001). Factors affecting quality of life in patients with HIV infection. The AIDS Reader. 11(9):450-4, 460-1, 475.
11. Charkhian A, Fekrazad H, Sajadi H, et al (2014). Relationship between health-related quality of life and social support in HIV-infected people in Tehran, Iran. Iran J Public Health, 43(1):100.
12. Vahdat K, Hadavand F, Rabieian P, et al (2012). Study of daily quality of life in patients living with HIV in Bushehr province. Iran South Med J, 15(2):119-26.
13. Group TW (1998). The World Health Organization quality of life assessment (WHOQOL): development and general psychometric properties. Soc Sci Med, 46(12):1569-85.
14. Guyatt GH (1993). Measurement of health-related quality of life in heart failure. J Am Coll Cardiol, 22(4):185-191.
15. Beck EJ, Miners AH, Tolley K (2001). The cost of HIV treatment and care: A global review. PharmacoEconomics, 19(1):13-39.
16. Walker N, Grassly NC, Garnett GP, et al (2004). Estimating the global burden of HIV/AIDS: what do we really know about the HIV pandemic? Lancet, 363(9427):2180-5.
17. Khan K, Kunz R, Kleijnen J, et al (2011). Systematic reviews to support evidence-based medicine. 2 st ed, Crc Press.
18. Ghojazadeh M, Hajebrahimi S, Pournaghi-Azar F, et al (2019). Effect of Kangaroo Mother Care on successful breastfeeding: A systematic review and Meta-Analysis of randomised controlled trials. Rev Recent Clin Trials, 14(1):31-40.
19. Jafari M, Farajzadeh F, Asgharlu Z, et al (2019). Effect of Kangaroo Mother Care on hospital management indicators: A systematic review and meta-analysis of randomized controlled trials. J Educ Health Promot, 8: 96.
20. Von Elm E, Altman DG, Egger M, et al (2014). The Strengthening the Reporting of Observational Studies in Epidemiology (STROBE) Statement: guidelines for reporting observational studies. Int J Surg, 12(12):1495-9.
21. Poorolajal J, Tajik P, Yazdizadeh B, et al (2009). Quality Assessment of the Reporting of Cohort Studies before STROBE Statement. Iran J Epidemilogy. 5 (1):17-26.
22. von Elm E, Altman DG, Egger M, et al (2007). The Strengthening the Reporting of Observational Studies in Epidemiology (STROBE) statement: guidelines for reporting observational studies. Ann Intern Med, 147(8):573-7.
23. Group W (1996). WHOQOL-BREF: Introduction, administration, scoring and generic version of the assessment. Geneva: World Health Organization, 5.
24. World Health Organization (2004). The world health organization quality of life (WHOQOL)-BREF. World Health Organization.
25. Ware Jr, E J (2000). SF-36 health survey update. Spine, 25(24):3130-9.
26. Nojomi M, Anbary K, Ranjbar M (2008). Health-related quality of life in patients with HIV/AIDS. Arch Iran Med, 11(6):608-12.
27. Rasoolinajad M, Abedinia N, Noorbala AA, et al (2018). Relationship among HIV-related stigma, mental health and quality of life for HIV-positive patients in Tehran. AIDS Behav, 22(12):3773-82.
28. Salehi M, Niroumand S, Erfanian M, et al (2016). Validation of Persian version of WHOQOL-HIV BREF questionnaire in Islamic Republic of Iran. East Mediterr Health J, 22(9):647-53.
29. Haseli N, Esmaeelzadeh F, Ghahramani F, et al (2014). Health-related quality of life and its related factors in HIV(+) patients referred to Shiraz Behavioral Counseling Center, Iran in 2012. Med J Islam Repub Iran, 28:13.
30. Mostafavian Z, Abbasi Shaye Z, Faraj Pour A, et al (2018). The data on health locus of control and its relationship with quality of life in HIV-positive patients. Data brief, 18:1967-71.
31. Shirvani A, Vazirinejad R, Rezaeian M. Quality of life and its correlation with violence and social support among women with HIV/AIDS in Shiraz, Iran, in 2015. Journal of Occupational Health and Epidemiology. 2016;5(3):160-7.
32. Moghadam ZB, Rezaei E, Sharifi B, et al (2018). The Effect of Empowerment and Educational Programs on the Quality of Life in Iranian Women with HIV. J Int Assoc Provid AIDS Care, 17:2325958218759681.
33. Betancur MN, Lins L, Oliveira IRd, et al (2017). Quality of life, anxiety and depression in patients with HIV/AIDS who present poor adherence to antiretroviral therapy: a cross-sectional study in Salvador, Brazil. Braz J Infect Dis., 21(5):507-14.
34. Karkashadze E, Gates MA, Chkhartishvili N, et al (2017). Assessment of quality of life in people living with HIV in Georgia. International journal of STD & AIDS, 28(7):672-8.
35. Basavaraj KH, Navya MA, Rashmi R (2010). Quality of life in HIV/AIDS. Indian J Sex Transm Dis AIDS, 31(2):75-80.
36. Sarna L, van Servellen G, Padilla G, et al (1999). Quality of life in women with symptomatic HIV/AIDS. J adv nurs, 30(3):597-605.
37. Galvão MTG, Cerqueira ATdAR, Marcondes-Machado J (2004). Avaliação da qualidade de vida de mulheres com HIV/AIDS através do HAT-QoL. Cad Saude Publica, 20:430-7.
38. Rüütel K, Pisarev H, Loit H-M, et al (2009). Factors influencing quality of life of people living with HIV in Estonia: a cross-sectional survey. J Int AIDS Soc, 12(1):13.
39. Creswell JD, Myers HF, Cole SW, et al (2009). Mindfulness meditation training effects on CD4+ T lymphocytes in HIV-1 infected adults: A small randomized controlled trial. Brain Behav. Immun, 23(2):184-8.
40. Woodyard C (2011). Exploring the therapeutic effects of yoga and its ability to increase quality of life. Int J Yoga, 4(2):49.
41. Niazi AK, Niazi SK (2011). Mindfulness-based stress reduction: a non-pharmacological approach for chronic illnesses. N Am J Med Sci, 3(1):20.
42. Ülger Ö, Yağlı NV (2010). Effects of yoga on the quality of life in cancer patients. Complement Ther Clin Pract, 16(2):60-3.
43. Eriksson LE, Nordström G, Berglund T, et al (2000). The health‐related quality of life in a Swedish sample of HIV‐infected persons. J adv Nurs, 32(5):1213-23.
44. Razera F, Ferreira J, Bonamigo RR (2008). Factors associated with health-related quality-of-life in HIV-infected Brazilians. International journal of STD & AIDS, 19(8):519-23.
45. Gaspar J, Reis RK, Pereira FMV, et al (2011). Quality of life in women with HIV/AIDS in a municipality in the State of São Paulo. Rev Esc Enferm USP, 45(1):230-6.
46. George S, Bergin C, Clarke S, et al (2016). Health-related quality of life and associated factors in people with HIV: an Irish cohort study. Health Qual Life Outcomes, 14(1):115.
47. Ferreira AC, Teixeira AL, Silveira MF, et al (2018). Quality of life predictors for people living with HIV/AIDS in an impoverished region of Brazil. Rev Soc Bras Med Trop, 51(6):743-51.
48. Cunha GHd, Fiuza MLT, Gir E, et al (2015). Quality of life of men with AIDS and the model of social determinants of health. Rev Latino-Am Enfermagem, 23(2):183-91.
49. Gakhar H, Kamali A, Holodniy M (2013). Health-related quality of life assessment after antiretroviral therapy: a review of the literature. Drugs, 73(7):651-72.
50. Medeiros RCdSC, Medeiros JAd, Silva TALd, et al (2017). Quality of life, socioeconomic and clinical factors, and physical exercise in persons living with HIV/AIDS. Rev Saude Publica, 51:66.
51. Murri R, Fantoni M, Del Borgo C, et al (2003). Determinants of health-related quality of life in HIV-infected patients. AIDS care, 15(4):581-90.
52. Rueda S, Raboud J, Mustard C, et al (2011). Employment status is associated with both physical and mental health quality of life in people living with HIV. AIDS Care, 23(4):435-43.
53. Fleishman JA, Crystal S (1998). Functional status transitions and survival in HIV disease: evidence from the AIDS Costs and Service Utilization Survey. Med Care, 36(4):533-43.
54. Hays RD, Cunningham WE, Sherbourne CD, et al (2000). Health-related quality of life in patients with human immunodeficiency virus infection in the United States: results from the HIV cost and services utilization study. Am J Med, 108(9):714-22.
55. Ferreira BE, Oliveira IM, Paniago AMM (2012). Quality of life of people living with HIV/AIDS and its relationship with CD4+ lymphocytes, viral load and time of diagnosis. Rev bras epidemiol, 15(1):75-84.
56. Zimpel R, Fleck M (2007). Quality of life in HIV-positive Brazilians: application and validation of the WHOQOL-HIV, Brazilian version. AIDS Care, 19(7):923-30.
57. Degroote S, Vogelaers DP, Vermeir P, et al (2013). Socio‐economic, behavioural,(neuro) psychological and clinical determinants of HRQoL in people living with HIV in Belgium: a pilot study. J Int AIDS Soc, 16(1):18643.
58. Perez IR, Bano JR, Ruz ML, et al (2005). Health-related quality of life of patients with HIV: impact of sociodemographic, clinical and psychosocial factors. Qual Life Res, 14(5):1301-10.
59. Prost A (2006). A review of research among black African communities affected by HIV in the UK and Europe. MRC Social and Public Health Sciences Unit, Occasional paper. Glasgow, pp. 8-16.
60. Pozniak A (2014). Quality of life in chronic HIV infection. Lancet HIV, 1(1):e6-e7.
61. Kohli RM, Sane S, Kumar K, et al (2005). Assessment of quality of life among HIV-infected persons in Pune, India. Qual Life Res, 14(6):1641-7.
62. Worthington C, Krentz H (2005). Socio-economic factors and health-related quality of life in adults living with HIV. International journal of STD & AIDS, 16(9):608-14.
63. Lubeck DP, Fries JF (1993). Health status among persons infected with human immunodeficiency virus: A community-based study. Med Care, 31(3):269-76
64. Jia H, Uphold CR, Wu S, et al (2004). Health-related quality of life among men with HIV infection: effects of social sup-port, coping, and depression. AIDS Pa-tient Care & STDs, 18(10):594-603.