Three Day Environmental Exposure May Trigger Oxidative Stress Development and Provoke Adaptive Response Resulting in Altered Antioxidant Activity
Background: We aimed to investigate the polluted working environment triggers oxidative stress and alter enzymatic antioxidant activity by a short-term interval.
Methods: The experimental study, performed in 2014, involved 94 workers from the Velenje Coalmine in Slovenia, arranged into three groups according to a number of consecutive working days in a mineshaft, supported by a control group. Levels of the antioxidant enzymes (GPx, CAT, SOD) together with TAC (the combined effect of all antioxidants) and 8-isoprostane (a biological marker of oxidative stress/damage) were measured in human plasma.
Results: Workers occupationally exposed for three consecutive working days had significantly increased 8-isoprostane biomarker, a parameter of oxidative stress (P<0.001). The antioxidant levels of TAC (P<0.001), CAT (P<0.001) and SOD (P<0.001) were all significantly decreased compared to a control group.
Conclusion: Workers in polluted working environment had significantly increased oxidative stress and altered antioxidant activity already on a third consecutive working day.
2. Pelclová D, Fenclová Z, Kačer P et al (2008). Increased 8-isoprostane, a marker of ox-idative stress in exhaled breath conden-sate in subjects with asbestos exposure. Ind Health, 46:484–489.
3. Auten RL, Davis JM (2009). Oxygen toxicity and reactive oxygen species: the devil is in the details. Pediatr Res, 66:121–127.
4. Rendón-Ramírez AL, Maldonado-Vega M, Quintanar-Escorza MA et al (2014). Ef-fect of vitamin E and C supplementation on oxidative damage and total antioxi-dant capacity in lead-exposed workers. Environ Toxicol Pharmacol, 37:45–54.
5. Omidianidost A, Ghasemkhani M, Kakooei H et al (2016). Risk Assessment of occu-pational exposure to crystalline silica in small foundries in Pakdasht, Iran. Iran J Public Health, 45:70–75.
6. Domej W, Oettl K, Renner W (2014). Oxi-dative stress and free radicals in COPD-implications and relevance for treatment. Int J Chron Obstruct Pulmon Dis, 9:1207–1224.
7. National Institute of Public Health (2015). The lost work days statistics in Slovenia; https://podatki.nijz.si/pxweb/sl/NIJZ%20podatkovni%20portal/
8. Genestra M (2007). Oxyl radicals, redox-sensitive signalling cascades and antioxi-dants. Cell Signal, 19:1807–1819.
9. Halliwell B (2007). Biochemistry of oxidative stress. Biochem Soc Trans, 35:1147–1150.
10. Valavanidis A, Vlahogianni T, Dassenakis M, Scoullos M (2006). Molecular bi-omarkers of oxidative stress in aquatic organisms in relation to toxic environ-mental pollutants. Ecotoxicol Environ Saf, 64:178–189.
11. Osuji FN, Onyenekwe CC, Ifeanyichukwu M et al (2012). Antioxidant activity in HIV and malaria co-infected subjects in Anambra State, southeastern Nigeria. Asian Pac J Trop Med, 5:841–847.
12. Cornelli U, Lu C, Sun X et al (2017) Humoral factors in the skin. In: Practical Immuno-dermatology, Gao X-H, Chen H-D, eds. Springer, Dordrecht, NL, pp. 115-142.
13. Kuipers I, Guala AS, Aesif SW et al (2011). Cigarette smoke targets glutaredoxin 1, increasing s-glutationylation and epithelial cell death. Am J Respir Cell Mol Biol, 45:931-937.
14. Janicka M, Kot-Wasik A, Kot J et al (2010). Isoprostanes-biomarkers of lipid peroxi-dation: their utility in evaluating oxidative stress and analysis. Int J Mol Sci, 11:4631–4659.
15. Elango N, Kasi V, Vembhu B, Poornima JG (2013). Chronic exposure to emis-sions from photocopiers in copy shops causes oxidative stress and systematic in-flammation among photocopier opera-tors in India. Environ Health, 12:78.
16. Pelclová D, Fenclová Z, Vlčková S et al (2014). Occupational asthma follow-up--which markers are elevated in exhaled breath condensate and plasma? Int J Oc-cup Med Environ Health, 27:206–215.
17. Flaherty NL, Chandrasekaran A, del Pilar Sosa Peña M et al (2015). Comparative analysis of redox and inflammatory properties of pristine nanomaterials and commonly used semiconductor manufac-turing nano-abrasives. Toxicol Lett, 239:205–215.
18. Wilhelm Filho D, Avila S Jr, Possamai FP et al (2010). Antioxidant therapy attenuates oxidative stress in the blood of subjects exposed to occupational airborne con-tamination from coal mining extraction and incineration of hospital residues. Eco-toxicology, 19:1193–1200.
19. Oliveras-López M-J, Berná G, Jurado-Ruiz E et al (2014). Consumption of extra-virgin olive oil rich in phenolic com-pounds has beneficial antioxidant effects in healthy human adults. J Funct Foods, 10:475–484.
20. Fraile-Bermúdez AB, Kortajarena M, Zar-razquina I et al (2015). Relationship be-tween physical activity and markers of oxidative stress in independent commu-nity-living elderly individuals. Exp Geron-tol, 70:26–31.
21. Dimitrov DM, Rumrill PD Jr. (2003). Pre-test-posttest designs and measurement of change. Work, 20:159–165.
22. Goodman GVR, Karacan CÖ, Schatzel SJ et al (2008). NIOSH research for monitor-ing and controlling methane at U.S. un-derground coal mining operations. Pitts-burgh (USA): National Institute for Oc-cupational Safety and Health, Pittsburgh Research Laboratory; https://www.cdc.gov/niosh/mining/UserFiles/works/pdfs/nrfma.pdf
23. MSHA (2003). Effects of blasting on air quality. Arlington: Mine Safety and Health Administration.
24. Pournourmohammadi S, Khazaeli P, Eslam-izad S et al (2008). Study on the oxidative stress status among cement plant work-ers. Hum Exp Toxicol, 27:463–469.
25. Suryakar AN, Katkam RV, Dhadke VN et al (2010). A study of oxidative stress in cot-ton industry workers from Solapur city. Biomed Res, 21:260–264.
26. Permpongpaiboon T, Nagila A, Pidetcha P et al (2011). Decreased paraoxonase 1 ac-tivity and increased oxidative stress in low lead-exposed workers. Hum Exp Toxicol, 30:1196–1203.
27. Elis A, Froom P, Ninio A et al (2001). Em-ployee exposure to chromium and plas-ma lipid oxidation. Int J Occup Environ Health, 7:206–208.
28. Poljšak B, Fink R (2014). The protective role of antioxidants in the defence against ROS/RNS-mediated environmental pol-lution. Oxid Med Cell Longev, 2014:671539.
|Issue||Vol 48 No 7 (2019)|
|Polluted working environment Oxidative stress 8-isoprostane Enzymatic antioxidant activity|
|Rights and permissions|
|This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial 4.0 International License.|