The Needs Fulfillment of Medical Specialist in General Hospital Type C in Remote Areas
Background: Indonesia as an archipelagic country, makes the efforts to fulfill the needs of medical specialists in remote areas are not easy tasks. This study aimed to explore the availability and the needs fulfillment efforts of medical specialist in remote areas; and to know whether the availability of medical specialists have met the hospital needs, and how the authorities efforts to fulfill them, also the factors that affect the effort.
Methods: This qualitative research was conducted with case study approach in Haji Abdoel Madjid Batoe District Hospital (RSUD HAMBA) Batanghari Jambi and Malingping District Hospital (RSUD Malingping) in Lebak Banten. In-depth interviews were conducted with various stakeholders.
Results: The availability of medical specialist in both hospitals in number and type are inadequate. This fact indicates low retention and motivation of medical specialists to work in remote area. The major factor in both hospitals is inadequate salaries, difficult access, lack of medical equipment, also the difficulty to develop a career. However, these factors in both area ultimately boil down to the lack of government policies that support medical specialist fulfillment.
Conclusion: The important factors that affect the lackness of effort in fulfilling medical specialists’ placement in remote areas are inadequate of infrastructures, competence and career development contraints, and the coordination between national and regional policies. The commitment of central and regional government to improve the infrastructures, competence and career developments, and regulations with respect to medical specialists in remote areas.
2. WHO (2010). Models and Tools for Health Workforce Planning and Projections (Human Resources for Health Observer. Issue no. 3, WHO Press, Geneva, pp. 3-7
3. WHO (2009). Monitoring the Geographical Distribution of The Health Workforce in Rural and Underserved Areas. WHO, Geneva.
4. Ministry of the State Secretariat Republic of Indonesia (2014). Act Number 23 Year 2014 on Regional Government State Gazette of the Republic of Indonesia Year 2014 Number 244, Additional State Gazette of the Republic of Indonesia Number 5587. Ministry of the State Secretariat Republic of Indonesia : 11-24
5. Mustikowati SR, Trisnantoro L, Meliala A (2006). Influencing Factors to the Placement of Contracted Specialist Doctors (Faktor-Faktor yang Mempengaruhi Penerimaan Penempatan Dokter Spesialis Ikatan Dinas). Jurnal Manajemen Pelayanan Kesehatan, 9 (2): 58-64.
6. Ministry of Health Republic of Indonesia (2014). Minister of Health Regulation No. 56 Year 2014 on Classification and Hospital Licensing. Ministry of Health Republic of Indonesia : 1-20.
7. Ministry of the State Secretariat Republic of Indonesia (2014). Act Number 36 Year 2014 on Health Manpower, State Gazette of the Republic of Indonesia Year 2014 Number 298. Ministry of the State Secretariat Republic of Indonesia. 1-46.
8. Directorate General Higher Education for Republic of Indonesia, Ministry of Health and Education (Ditjen Dikti Kemendikbud) (2010). A Picture of the Availability and Needs of Medical Personnel in Indonesia. Health Professional Education Quality (HPEQ) Project : 7-10.
9. Zurn P, Dal Poz MR, Stilwell B et al (2004). Imbalance in the Health Workforce. Hum Resour Health, 2(1):13.
10. Hasibuan, Malayu S.P (2009). Human Resource Management. Bumi Aksara, Jakarta, pp. 5-10.
11. Mathis, Robert L. and Jackson, John H. (2002). Human Resources Management. Salemba Empat, Jakarta, pp. 34-52.
12. Ministry of the State Secretariat Republic of Indonesia (2004). Act Number 29 Year 2004 on Medicine Practice, State Gazette of the Republic of Indonesia Year 2004 Number 116. Ministry of the State Secretariat Republic of Indonesia. 1-69.
|Issue||Vol 48 No 7 (2019)|
|Medical specialist Low retention Fulfillment efforts Type c district hospital Remote areas|
|Rights and permissions|
|This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial 4.0 International License.|