Association of MMP-2 -753C>T and MMP-9 -1562C>T Polymorphisms with Chronic/Aggressive Periodontitis Risk: A Systematic Review and Meta-Analysis
Background: Two functional polymorphisms in the matrix metalloproteinase-2 and -9 (MMP-2 and MMP-9) genes may contribute to periodontitis pathogenesis. However, the results were inconsistent and inconclusive. Therefore, to clarify precise associations of MMP-2 -753 C>T and MMP-9 -1562C>T polymorphisms with chronic (CP) and aggressive (AgP) periodontitis, we performed a systematic review and meta-analysis.
Methods: A literature search was conducted using PubMed, Google Scholar, Embase, and Web of Science databases until 5 July 2017. The data were analyzed with CMA software, and risk estimates are expressed as odds ratios (ORs) and 95% confidence intervals (95% CIs).
Results: Nineteen case-control studies in ten publications with 2089 periodontitis cases and 2345 controls met the criteria. The pooled ORs indicated that MMP-2 -753C>T and MMP-9 -1562C>T polymorphisms were not significantly associated with risk of periodontitis in overall analysis. Stratified analyses by ethnicity and periodontitis type indicated that the MMP-9 -1562C>T polymorphism showed a significant association with the risk of periodontitis among Caucasians and CP/AgP subgroup, whereas MMP-2 -753C>T polymorphism was significantly associated with periodontitis risk only among Asians.
Conclusion: MMP-2 -753C>T and MMP-9 -1562C>T polymorphisms may not be associated with risk of periodontitis in overall population. However, MMP-2 -753C>T and MMP-9 -1562C>T polymorphisms might have influence on the susceptibility of periodontitis by ethnicity.
2. AlJehani YA (2014). Risk factors of periodontal disease: review of the literature. Int J Dent, 2014:182513.
3. Mashhadiabbas F, Neamatzadeh H, Nasiri R et al (2018). Association of vitamin D receptor BsmI, TaqI, FokI, and ApaI polymorphisms with susceptibility of chronic periodontitis: A systematic review and meta-analysis based on 38 case–control studies. Dent Res J (Isfahan), 15(3):155-165.
4. Kim J, Amar S (2006). Periodontal disease and systemic conditions: a bidirectional relationship. Odontology, 94(1):10–21.
5. Hugoson A, Norderyd O (2008). Has the prevalence of periodontitis changed during the last 30 years? J Clin Periodontol, 35(8 Suppl):338–45.
6. Highfield J (2009). Diagnosis and classification of periodontal disease. Aust Dent J, 54 Suppl 1:S11-26.
7. Tarannum F, Faizuddin M (2012). Effect of gene polymorphisms on periodontal diseases. Indian J Hum Genet, 18(1):9–19.
8. Weng H, Yan Y, Jin YH et al (2016). Matrix metalloproteinase gene polymorphisms and periodontitis susceptibility: a meta-analysis involving 6,162 individuals. Sci Rep, 6:24812.
9. Laine ML, Loos BG, Crielaard W (2010). Gene polymorphisms in chronic periodontitis. Int J Dent, 2010:324719.
10. Song GG, Kim JH, Lee YH (2013). Toll-like receptor (TLR) and matrix metalloproteinase (MMP) polymorphisms and periodontitis susceptibility: a meta-analysis. Mol Biol Rep, 40(8):5129–41.
11. Li W, Zhu Y, Singh P, Ajmera DH et al (2016). Association of Common Variants in MMPs with Periodontitis Risk. Dis Markers, 2016: 1545974.
12. Sheikhpour E, Noorbakhsh P, Foroughi E et al (2018). A Survey on the Role of Interleukin-10 in Breast Cancer: A Narrative. Rep Biochem Mol Biol, 7(1):30–37.
13. Rahimi Z, Lotfi S, Ahmadi A et al (2018). Matrix metalloproteinase-2 C-735T and its interaction with matrix metalloproteinase-7 A-181G polymorphism are associated with the risk of preeclampsia: influence on total antioxidant capacity and blood pressure. J Obstet Gynaecol, 38(3):327–32.
14. Klein T, Bischoff R (2011). Physiology and pathophysiology of matrix metalloproteases. Amino Acids, 41(2):271–90.
15. Lu P, Takai K, Weaver VM et al (2011). Extracellular Matrix Degradation and Remodeling in Development and Disease. Cold Spring Harb Perspect Biol, 3(12): a005058.
16. Maral S, Acar M, Balcik OS et al (2015). Matrix Metalloproteinases 2 and 9 Polymorphism in Patients With Myeloproliferative Diseases: A STROBE-Compliant Observational Study. Medicine (Baltimore), 94(16):e732.
17. Rybakowski JK (2009). Matrix Metalloproteinase-9 (MMP9)-A Mediating Enzyme in Cardiovascular Disease, Cancer, and Neuropsychiatric Disorders. Cardiovasc Psychiatry Neurol, 2009:904836.
18. de Souza AP, Trevilatto PC, Scarel-Caminaga RM et al (2005). Analysis of the MMP-9 (C-1562 T) and TIMP-2 (G-418C) gene promoter polymorphisms in patients with chronic periodontitis. J Clin Periodontol, 32(2):207–11.
19. Holla LI, Fassmann A, Mužík J et al (2006). Functional Polymorphisms in the Matrix Metalloproteinase-9 Gene in Relation to Severity of Chronic Periodontitis. J Periodontol, 77(11):1850–5.
20. Keles GC, Gunes S, Sumer AP et al (2006). Association of Matrix Metalloproteinase-9 Promoter Gene Polymorphism With Chronic Periodontitis. J Periodontol, 77(9):1510-4.
21. Chen D, Wang Q, Ma ZW et al (2007). MMP-2, MMP-9 and TIMP-2 gene polymorphisms in Chinese patients with generalized aggressive periodontitis. J Clin Periodontol, 34(5):384–9.
22. Gürkan A, Emingil G, Saygan BH et al (2008). Gene polymorphisms of matrix metalloproteinase-2, -9 and -12 in periodontal health and severe chronic periodontitis. Arch Oral Biol, 53(4):337–45.
23. Gürkan A, Emingil G, Saygan BH et al (2007). Matrix Metalloproteinase-2, -9, and -12 Gene Polymorphisms in Generalized Aggressive Periodontitis. J Periodontol, 78(12):2338–47.
24. Loo WTY, Wang M, Jin LJ, et al (2011). Association of matrix metalloproteinase (MMP-1, MMP-3 and MMP-9) and cyclooxygenase-2 gene polymorphisms and their proteins with chronic periodontitis. Arch Oral Biol, 56(10):1081–90.
25. Isaza-Guzmán DM, Arias-Osorio C, Martínez-Pabón MC et al (2011). Salivary levels of matrix metalloproteinase (MMP)-9 and tissue inhibitor of matrix metalloproteinase (TIMP)-1: a pilot study about the relationship with periodontal status and MMP-9(-1562C/T) gene promoter polymorphism. Arch Oral Biol, 56(4):401–11.
26. Li G, Yue Y, Tian Y, Li J et al (2012). Association of matrix metalloproteinase (MMP)-1, 3, 9, interleukin (IL)-2, 8 and cyclooxygenase (COX)-2 gene polymorphisms with chronic periodontitis in a Chinese population. Cytokine, 60(2):552–60.
27. Hsiao YF, Yang LC, Chou YS et al (2016). Matrix metalloproteinase-2, -9, and tissue inhibitor of MMP-2 gene polymorphisms in Taiwanese periodontitis patients. J Dent Sci, 11(4):411–8.
28. Majumder P, Singh SJ, Nair V et al (2017). Alliance of matrix metalloproteinase-9 (MMP-9) promoter gene polymorphism with chronic and aggressive periodontitis in Indian population. Meta Gene, 12:88–93.
29. Gohari M, Neámatzadeh H, Jafari MA et al (2016). Association between the p53 co-don 72 polymorphism and primary open-angle glaucoma risk: Meta-analysis based on 11 case-control studies. Indian J Ophthalmol, 64(10):756-761.
30. Sobhan MR, Mahdinezhad-Yazdi M, Aghili K et al (2018). Association of TNF-α-308 G>T; A and −238 G>T; A polymorphisms with knee osteoarthritis risk: A case-control study and meta-analysis. J Orthop, 15(3):747–53.
31. Sadeghiyeh T, Hosseini Biouki F, Mazaheri M, et al (2017). Association between Catechol-O-Methyltransferase Val158Met (158G/A) Polymorphism and Suicide Susceptibility: A Meta-analysis. J Res Health Sci, 17(2):e00383.
32. Abedinzadeh M, Zare-Shehneh M, Neamatzadeh H et al (2015). Association between MTHFR C677T polymorphism and risk of prostate cancer: Evidence from 22 studies with 10,832 cases and 11,993 controls. Asian Pac J Cancer Prev, 16(11):4525-30.
|Issue||Vol 48 No 7 (2019)|
|Periodontitis MMP gene Polymorphism Meta-analysis|
|Rights and permissions|
|This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial 4.0 International License.|