Some Effective Factors on the Webometric Status of Selected Universities of Medical Sciences: Lessons Learned from Iran
Background: Web is considered an important tool for formal and informal communication and cooperation among members of the community including researchers. Universities’ websites played a significant role in the development of social structure through the creation of cyberspace. We aimed to evaluate the growth and Webometrics rankings of the country’s medical universities web sites base on interventional approach.
Methods: This interventional study assessed Iranian universities of medical sciences’ websites from the periods of Jan 2015, Jul 2015 and Jan 2016. Medical universities websites were ranked based on four Webometrics indicators; PRESENCE, VISIBILITY, OPENNESS, and EXCELLENCE. To enhance the ranking of websites, 4 strategies were introduced in 3 seminars conducted from Jan to Jul 2015. Information needed from these 30 medical universities were obtained from Webometrics Ranking of World Universities based on 4 indicators and were collected in 2 steps (before and after introduction of strategies)
Results: About 21% to 70% of the country’s medical universities have increased ranking after the interventions while 9% to 30% obtained a downward trend in their rankings, Tehran University of Medical Sciences obtained the highest rank followed by Shahid Beheshti University of Medical Sciences and the third rank was obtained by Shiraz University of Medical Sciences.
Conclusion: The presence of websites play a vital role in the academic community. Doubtlessly, the idea of designing and launching a website without any knowledge of the principles and standards would be problematic and impossible.
2. Babu BR, Jeyshankar R, Rao PN (2010). Websites of Central Universities in India: A webometric analysis. DESIDOC Journal of Library & Information Technology, 30(4):33-43.
3. Info W. Ranking Web of World Universities DbC 2015. http://www.webometrics.info/Distribution_by_Country.as
4. Niazi E, Abounouri S (2010). Webometrics Rating scale measures college Selected. Lib Inf Sci, 13(4):143-72.
5. Davidson PM, Newton PJ, Ferguson C et al (2014). Rating and ranking the role of bibliometrics and webometrics in nursing and midwifery. ScientificWorldJournal, 2014:135812.
6. Gharibehniyazi M, Karbalagheikamran M (2016). Evaluating Iranian state university websites using WebQEM. The Electronic Library, 34:1031-1050.
7. Abdellahi M, Farhadi I, Hassanzadeh D (2016). Webometric study of Iranian virtual universities in 2013. Journal of Scientometrics, 1(2): 85-98.(In Persian)
8. Mesgarpour B, Vasei M, Kabiri P et al (2009). The Comparison of National, Regional and International Webometric Ranks of Iranian Universities and Research Centers. Hakim Research Journal, 12(3): 18-29.
9. Niazi E, Abounori A (2010). Ranking webometric scale indicators in selected universities. Libr Inf Sci, 13:143-71.
10. Nowkarizi M, Soheili F, Danesh F et al (2012). Webometrics of Iranian universities dominated by the ministry of science, research and technology. J Assoc Inf Sci Technol, 27(1): 521-36.
11. Shadpour P, Teimourpour B, Asadi R (2013). Webometrics-based Analysis and Ranking of Iranian Hospital Websites. International Journal of Hospital Research, 2(2): 77-84.
12. Islam MA, Alam MS (2011). Webometric study of private universities in Bangladesh. Malays J Libr Inf Sci, 16(2): 115-26.
13. Vaughan L, Thelwall M (2005). A modeling approach to uncover hyperlink patterns: The case of Canadian universities. Inf Process Manag, 41(2): 347-59.
14. Danesh F, Soheili F, Shafiei A (2008). An analysis of the links among the websites of the Iranian universities of medical sciences: using webometrics methods. 4th International Conference on Webometrics, Informetrics and Scientometrics & 9th COLLNET Meeting, 2008 Berlin: Collnet.
15. Ramezan Ghorbani N, Fakour Y, Nojoumi S (2017). The Increasing Trend in Global Ranking of Websites of Iranian Medical Universities during January 2012-2015. Iran J Public Health, 46(8):1095-1103.
16. Scientometrics Center (2016). The ranking of countries according to number of top universities. Scientific information Database, Tehran, Iran.
17. The CWTS Leiden Ranking 2016 Leiden University (2016). The Netherlands: Centre for Science and Technology Studies. http://www.leidenranking.com/Content/CWTS%20Leiden%20Ranking%202016.pdf
18. Noruzi A (2004). The Web Impact Factor: a survey of some Iranian university web sites. Studies in Education & Psychology, 5(2):105-119.
19. Maheshwari B, Kumar V, Kumar U, Sharan V (2007). E-government portal effectiveness: managerial considerations for design and development. http://citeseerx.ist.psu.edu/viewdoc/summary?doi=10.1.1.98.9756
Copyright (c) 2019 Iranian Journal of Public Health
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial 4.0 International License.