Analgesic Effects of Sevoflurane and Isoflurane on Elderly Patients with Colon Cancer and Their Influences on Immunity and Postoperative Cognitive Function
Background: We aimed to investigate the analgesic effect and immune function of elderly patients with colon cancer after application of sevoflurane and isoflurane anesthesia.
Methods: Overall, 130 patients with colon cancer in Yidu Central Hospital of Weifang (Weifang, China) from February 2014 to January 2017 were collected and randomly divided into sevoflurane group (SEV group) and isoflurane group (ISO group). The pain score, immune indexes, postoperative cognitive index, extubation time, awakening time and S100R protein were analyzed.
Results: The pain scores in SEV group at 5 min, 1 h and 3 h during surgery were significantly lower than those in ISO group (P=0.001, respectively). The levels of IL-6 in both groups of patients were higher at T1 and T2 than those at T0 (P=0.001). The levels of TNF-α in SEV group at T2 and T3 were significantly higher than that at T0 (P=0.001). The levels of CD80 in both groups of patients at T2 and T3 were obviously higher than those at T0 (P=0.001). Moreover, the extubation time, the response time to language and awakening time in SEV group were also remarkably shorter than those in ISO group (P=0.001). After continuous anesthesia in both groups of patients, the degrees of decline in ISO group were significantly higher than those in SEV group (P=0.001).
Conclusion: Sevoflurane has a superior anesthetic effect to isoflurane in elderly patients with colon cancer, can reduce the degree of pain, improve the awakening condition and increase the immune function, so it is worthy of clinical application.
2. Dotan E, Browner I, Hurria A, Denlinger C (2012). Challenges in the management of older patients with colon cancer. J Natl Compr Canc Netw, 10(2):213-24.
3. Labianca R, Nordlinger B, Beretta GD, Mosconi S, Mandalà M, Cervantes A, Arnold D (2013). Early colon cancer: ESMO Clinical Practice Guidelines for diagnosis, treatment and follow-up. Ann Oncol, 24:vi64-72.
4. Christopherson R, James KE, Tableman M, Marshall P, Johnson FE (2008). Long-term survival after colon cancer surgery: a variation associated with choice of anes-thesia. Anesth Analg, 107(1): 325-32.
5. Müller-Edenborn B, Roth-Zʼgraggen B, Bartnicka K, Borgeat A, Hoos A, Borsig L, Beck-Schimmer B (2012). Volatile an-esthetics reduce invasion of colorectal cancer cells through down-regulation of matrix metalloproteinase-9. Anesthesiology, 117(3):293-301
6. Weldon BC, Bell M, Craddock T (2004). The effect of caudal analgesia on emer-gence agitation in children after sevoflu-rane versus halothane anesthesia. Anesth Analg, 98(2): 321-6, table of contents.
7. Salman AE, Camkiran A, Oguz S, Donmez A (2013). Gabapentin premedication for postoperative analgesia and emergence agitation after sevoflurane anesthesia in pediatric patients. Agri, 25(4): 163-8.
8. Tylman M, Sarbinowski R, Bengtson JP, Kvarnström A, Bengtsson A (2011). In-flammatory response in patients under-going colorectal cancer surgery: the effect of two different anesthetic techniques. Minerva Anestesiol, 77(3):275-82.
9. Pascoe PJ (2015). The cardiopulmonary ef-fects of dexmedetomidine infusions in dogs during isoflurane anesthesia. Vet Anaesth Analg, 42(4): 360-8.
10. Salihoğlu Z, Demiroluk S, Görgün E, Kara-ca S, Ozçelik F (2003). Effects of sevoflu-rane versus TIVA on gastric intramucosal pH and hemodynamic status in colon cancer surgery. Middle East J Anaesthesiol, 17(3):359-69.
11. Schonberg MA, Breslau ES, Hamel MB, Bel-lizzi KM, McCarthy EP (2015). Colon cancer screening in U.S. adults aged 65 and older according to life expectancy and age. J Am Geriatr Soc, 63(4): 750-6.
12. Billingsley KG, Morris AM, Dominitz JA, Matthews B, Dobie S, Barlow W, Wright GE, Baldwin LM (2007). Surgeon and hospital characteristics as predictors of major adverse outcomes following colon cancer surgery: understanding the vol-ume-outcome relationship. Arch Surg, 142(1):23-31.
13. Bui L, Rempel E, Reeson D, Simunovic M (2006). Lymph node counts, rates of positive lymph nodes, and patient surviv-al for colon cancer surgery in Ontario, Canada: a population-based study. J Surg Oncol, 93(6):439-45.
14. Li JM, Shao JL, Zeng WJ, Liang RB (2015). General/epidural anesthesia in combina-tion preserves NK cell activity and affects cytokine response in cervical carcinoma patients undergoing radical resection: a cohort prospective study. Eur J Gynaecol Oncol, 36(6): 703-7.
15. Noth R, Stüber E, Häsler R, Nikolaus S, Kühbacher T, Hampe J, Bewig B, Schreiber S, Arlt A (2012). Anti-TNF-α antibodies improve intestinal barrier function in Crohn's disease. J Crohns Coli-tis, 6(4):464-9.
16. Fernandes PA, Cecon E, Markus RP, Fer-reira ZS (2006). Effect of TNF-alpha on the melatonin synthetic pathway in the rat pineal gland: basis for a 'feedback' of the immune response on circadian timing. J Pineal Res, 41(4):344-50.
17. Niwa H, Koumoto C, Shiga T et al (2006). Clinical analysis of cognitive function in diabetic patients by MMSE and SPECT. Diabetes Res Clin Pract, 72(2):142-7.
18. Jia ZM, Hao HN, Huang ML, Ma DF, Jia XL, Ma B (2017). Influence of dexme-detomidine to cognitive function during recovery period for children with general anesthesia. Eur Rev Med Pharmacol Sci, 21(5): 1106-1111.
19. Anderson RE (2002). No correlation be-tween serum concentrations of S100B and cognitive function. Acta Anaesthesiol Scand, 46(9):1179.
20. Chen X, Zhao M, White PF et al (2001). The recovery of cognitive function after gen-eral anesthesia in elderly patients: a com-parison of desflurane and sevoflurane. Anesth Analg, 93(6):1489-94.
21. Zhi-Jia M A, Chun-Mei W U, Guo-Rong C (2008). Comparisons of the Analepsia of Propofol and Sevoflurane Anesthesia. Hebei Medicine, 14(7): 792-4.
22. Ye-bo B O, Ming Y (2017). Effect of sevoflurane inhalation general anesthesia in elderly patients undergoing surgery and its effect on postoperative cognitive func-tion. The World Clinical Medicine 11(13): 56-7.
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial 4.0 International License.