Antifungal Susceptibility of Candida Species Isolated from Horticulturists with Onychomycosis in Piauí, Brazil
Background: We aimed to assess susceptibility pattern of Candida species isolated from horticulturists with onychomycosis to four antifungal drugs and to compare the effectiveness of conventional identification methods with matrix-assisted laser desorption/ionization mass spectrometry (MALDI-TOF MS).
Methods: This study was conducted in a community garden located in Teresina, State of Piauí, Brazil, in the year 2014. The samples were identified through phenotypic methods and per MALDI-TOF MS, being used PCR as definitive identification test. The susceptibility pattern to four antifungal drugs was determined according to Clinical and Laboratory Standards Institute (CLSI).
Results: Fourteen clinical isolates from seven different species were identified by the phenotypic method and by MALDI-TOF MS, with an observed concordance of 71.4% between the two methods. C. albicans (28.6%), C. parapsilosis (21.4%), C. guilliermondii and C. metapsilosis (both with 14.3%) were the most frequent species. With the exception of C. krusei, all species were sensitive to the tested antifungal.
Conclusion: This is the first study of antifungal susceptibility of Candida in Piauí, Brazil. With the exception of C. krusei, no species showed resistance to the antifungal drugs used. This study suggests constants updates from the public databases used in MALDI-TOF MS to provide a rapid and accurate mycological diagnosis.
2. Feng X, Ling B, Yang X et al (2015). Molec-ular identification of Candida species iso-lated from onychomycosis in Shanghai, China. Mycopathologia, 180 (5-6): 365-71.
3. Xiao M, Fan X, Chen SC et al (2015). Anti-fungal susceptibilities of Candida glabrata species complex, Candida krusei, Candida parapsilosis species complex and Candida tropicalis causing invasive candidiasis in China: 3 year national surveillance. J An-timicrob Chemother, 70 (3): 802-10.
4. De Hoog GS, Guarro J, Gené J, Figueras MJ (2000). Atlas Of Clinical Fungi. 2nd ed. Utrecht (The Netherlands) Centraalbu-reau voor Schimmelcultures: Universitat Rovira i Virgili.
5. Lacaz CS, Porto E, Martins JEC et al (2002). Tratado de Micologia médica. São Paulo: Sarvier. São Paulo.
6. Larone DH (1987). Medically important fungi: a guide to identification. New York: Elsevier.
7. Quiles-Melero I, García-Rodríguez J, Gómez-López A, Mingorance J (2012). Evaluation of matrix-assisted laser de-sorption/ionisation time-of-flight (MALDI-TOF) mass spectrometry for identification of Candida parapsilosis, C. or-thopsilosis and C. metapsilosis. Eur J Clin Mi-crobiol Infect Dis, 31(1): 67-71.
8. White TJ, Burns T, Lee S, Taylor JW (1990). Amplification and direct sequencing of fungal ribo-somal RNA genes for phylogenetics. In: Innis MA, Gelfand DH, Sninsky JJ, White TJ, eds. PCR Protocols: A Guide to Methods and Applications. New York: Academic Press, Inc.; 315–22.
9. CLSI (2012). Reference method for broth dilution antifungal susceptibility testing of yeasts; fourth informational supplement. CLSI document M27-A3. Clinical and La-boratory Standards Institute, Wayne, PA.
10. Barry AL, Pfaller MA, Brown SD et al (2000). Quality control limits for broth microdilution susceptibility tests of ten antifungal agents. J Clin Microbiol, 38 (9): 3457-59.
11. Pfaller MA, Espinel-Ingroff A, Canton E et al (2012). Wild-Type MIC Distributions and Epidemiological Cutoff Values for Amphotericin B, Flucytosine, and Itra-conazole and Candida spp. as Determined by CLSI Broth Microdilution. J Clin Mi-crobiol, 50 (6): 2040-6.
12. Sow D, Fall B, Ndiaye M et al (2015). Use-fulness of MALDI-TOF Mass Spec-trometry for Routine Identification of Candida Species in a Resource-Poor Set-ting. Mycopathologia, 180 (3-4): 173-9.
13. Mohammadi R, Mirhendi H, Hedayati MT, Badali H (2017). Caspofungin-Non-Susceptible Candida orthopsilosis Isolated from Onychomycosis in Iran. Iran J Public Health, 46(2): 235-41.
14. Assis DM, Juliano L, Juliano MA (2011). The mass spectrometry applied in the classification and identification of micro-organisms. Revista da Universidade Vale do Rio Verde, 9 (2): 344-55.
15. Seyfarth F, Wiegand C, Erhard M et al (2012). Identification of yeast isolated from dermatological patients by MALDI-TOF mass spectrometry. Mycoses, 55 (3): 276-80.
16. Bader O, Weig M, Taverne-Ghadwal L et al (2011). Improved clinical laboratory iden-tification of human pathogenic yeasts by matrix-assisted laser desorption ioniza-tion time-of-flight mass spectrometry. Clin Microbiol Infect, 17 (9): 1359-65.
17. Yazdanparast SA, Khodavaisy S, Fakhim H et al (2015). Molecular characterization of highly susceptible Candida africana from vulvovaginal candidiasis. Mycopathologia, 180(5-6): 317-23.
18. Gumral R, Sancak B, Guzel AB, Sarach MA, Ilkit M (2011). Lack of Candida africana and Candida dubliniensis in vaginal Candida albicans Isolates in Turkey Using HWP1 Gene Polymorphisms. Mycopathologia, 172 (1): 73-6.
19. Gupta AK, Gregurek-Novak T (2001). Effi-cacy of Itraconazole, Terbinafine, Flucon-azole, Griseofulvin and Ketoconazole in the Treatment of Scopulariopsis brevicaulis Causing Onychomycosis of the Toes. Dermatology, 202(3): 235-8.
20. Fakhim H, Emamic S, Vaezi A et al (2016). In vitro activities of novel azole com-pounds (ATTAF-1 and ATTAF-2) against fluconazole-susceptible and -resistant isolates of Candida species. Anti-microb Agents Chemother, 61 (1):e01106-e16.
21. Diekema DJ, Messer SA, Boyken LB et al (2009). In Vitro Activity of Seven System-ically Active Antifungal Agents against a large global collection of rare Candida spe-cies as determined by CLSI Broth Mi-crodilution Methods. J Clin Microbiol, 47(10): 3170-7.
22. Silva NCB, Regis ACD, Esquibel MA, Santos JES, Almeida MZ (2012). Medici-nal plants use in Barra II quilombola community – Bahia, Brazil. Bol Latinoam Caribe Plant Med Aroma, 11(5): 435-53.
|Issue||Vol 47 No 12 (2018)|
|Candida Onychomycosis Susceptibility Matrix-assisted laser desorption/ionization mass spectrometry|
|Rights and permissions|
|This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial 4.0 International License.|