Prevalence and Associated Factors of Overweight or Obesity and Abdominal Obesity in Iranian Population: A Population-based Study of Northwestern Iran
Background: This population-based study aimed at investigating the prevalence and associated factors of overweight /obesity and abdominal obesity in Iran.
Methods: The study population consists of 2818 inhabitant of the urban and regional area of East-Azerbaijan, Iran in 2015. The weight, height and waist circumferences were measured and the body mass index (BMI) and conicity index were calculated. The ANCOVA and logistic regression were used for statistical analysis.
Results: Prevalence of overweight, obesity and abdominal obesity was 39.6%, 24%, and 76.4% respectively. Women showed the higher prevalence of obesity (32.2%) and abdominal obesity (81.4) than men (obesity: 15.1%; abdominal obesity: 68.6%). Age, marriage and family history of obesity were independent predictors of obesity in the population (P< 0.001). In men and women, nonsmokers (P<0.01) and subjects having more than two kids (P< 0.001) were also more expected to be overweight or obese and abdominally obese respectively.
Conclusion: More actions mostly focusing on education and physical activity levels, and changing eating habits are required.
2. Ayatollahi S, Ghoreshizadeh Z (2010). Prevalence of obesity and overweight among adults in Iran. Obes Rev, 11: 335-337.
3. Hossain P, Kawar B, El Nahas M (2007). Obesity and diabetes in the developing world—a growing challenge. N Engl J Med, 356: 213-215.
4. Alwan A (2011). Global status report on noncommunicable diseases 2010: World Health Organization.
5. Gill T (2006). Epidemiology and health impact of obesity: an Asia Pacific perspective. Asia Pac J Clin Nutr, 15 Suppl:3-14.
6. Molarius A, Seidell J (1998). Selection of anthropometric indicators for classification of abdominal fatness Ð a critical review. Int J Obes Relat Metab Disord, 22: 719-727.
7. Kragelund C, Omland T (2005). A farewell to body-mass index? Lancet, 366: 1589-1591.
8. Sowers JR (2003). Obesity as a cardiovascular risk factor. Am J Med, 115 Suppl 8A:37S-41S.
9. Tabrizi JS, Sadeghi-Bazargani H, Farahbakhsh M et al (2016). Prevalence and Associated Factors of Prehypertension and Hypertension in Iranian Population: The Lifestyle Promotion Project (LPP). PLoS One, 11: e0165264.
10. Marinou K, Tousoulis D, Antonopoulos AS et al (2010). Obesity and cardiovascular disease: from pathophysiology to risk stratification. Int J Cardiol, 138: 3-8.
11. Tee E (2002). Obesity in Asia: prevalence and issues in assessment methodologies. Asia Pac J Clin Nutr, 11: S694-S701.
12. Bazzaz JT, Shojapoor M, Nazem H et al (2010). Methylenetetrahydrofolate reductase gene polymorphism in diabetes and obesity. Mol Biol Rep, 37: 105-109.
13. Hasani-Ranjbar S, Amoli MM, Tabatabaei-Malazy O et al (2012). Effect of adiponectin gene polymorphisms on waist circumference in patients with diabetes. J Diabetes Metab Disord, 11: 14.
14. Lal A, Moodie M, Ashton T et al (2012). Health care and lost productivity costs of overweight and obesity in New Zealand. Aust N Z J Public Health, 36: 550-556.
15. Tabatabaei-Malazy O, Hasani-Ranjbar S, Amoli MM et al (2010). Gender-specific differences in the association of adiponectin gene polymorphisms with body mass index. Rev Diabet Stud, 7: 241-246.
16. Hajian‐Tilaki K, Heidari B (2007). Prevalence of obesity, central obesity and the associated factors in urban population aged 20–70 years, in the north of Iran: a population‐based study and regression approach. Obes Rev, 8: 3-10.
17. Tabrizi JS, Farahbakhsh M, Sadeghi- Bazargani H, et al (2016). Introducing the Objectives, Procedures and Structure of Lifestyle Promotion Project (LPP): Phase I. Depiction of Health, 7: 1-7.
18. Tabrizi JS, Farahbakhsh M, Sadeghi- Bazargani H, et al (2018). Prevention and Control of Non-communicable Diseases in Iranian Population: Life Style Promotion Project Phase II: Study Protocol. Iran J Public Health, 47:1396-404.
19. Vasheghani-Farahani A, Tahmasbi M, Asheri H et al (2011). The Persian, last 7-day, long form of the International Physical Activity Questionnaire: translation and validation study. Asian J Sports Med, 2:106–116..
20. Nikniaz L, Tabrizi JS, Sadeghi-Bazargani H, et al (2017). Reliability and relative validity of short-food frequency questionnaire. Br Food J, 119:1337-1348.
21. Coll JL, Bibiloni M, Salas R et al (2015). Prevalence and related risk factors of overweight and obesity among the adult population in the Balearic Islands, a Mediterranean Region. Obes Facts, 8: 220-233.
22. Jafari-Adli S, Jouyandeh Z, Qorbani M et al (2014). Prevalence of obesity and overweight in adults and children in Iran; a systematic review. J Diabetes Metab Disord, 13: 121.
23. Ogden CL, Carroll MD, Kit BK et al (2012). Prevalence of obesity in the United States, 2009-2010. NCHS Data Brief, (82):1-8.
24. Jafar TH, Chaturvedi N, Pappas G (2006). Prevalence of overweight and obesity and their association with hypertension and diabetes mellitus in an Indo-Asian population. CMAJ, 175: 1071-1077.
25. Amani R (2007). Comparison between bioelectrical impedance analysis and body mass index methods in determination of obesity prevalence in Ahvazi women. Eur J Clin Nutr, 61: 478-482.
26. Azadbakht L, Mirmiran P, Shiva N, Azizi F (2005). General obesity and central adiposity in a representative sample of Tehranian adults: prevalence and determinants. Int J Vitam Nutr Res, 75: 297-304.
27. Veghari G (2004). Obesity among mothers in rural golestan. J Sch Public Health Inst Public Health Res, 3: 21-28.
28. Ramos de Marins VM, Varnier Almeida RM, Pereira RA, Barros MB (2001). Factors associated with overweight and central body fat in the city of Rio de Janeiro: results of a two-stage random sampling survey. Public Health, 115: 236-242.
29. Lfotouh A, Soliman L, Mansour E et al (2008). Central obesity among adults in Egypt: prevalence and associated morbidity. East Mediterr Health J, 14:57-68.
30. Dalton M, Cameron A, Zimmet P et al (2003). Waist circumference, waist–hip ratio and body mass index and their correlation with cardiovascular disease risk factors in Australian adults. J Intern Med, 254: 555-563.
31. Al-Riyami AA, Afifi MM (2003). Prevalence and correlates of obesity and central obesity among Omani adults. Saudi Med J, 24: 641-646.
32. Abdul-Rahim H, Holmboe-Ottesen G, Stene L et al (2003). Obesity in a rural and an urban Palestinian West Bank population. Int J Obes Relat Metab Disord, 27: 140-146.
33. Adediran OS, Okpara IC, Adeniyi OS et al (2012). Obesity prevalence and its associated factors in an urban and rural area of Abuja Nigeria. Global Advanced Research Journal of Medicine and Medical Sciences, 1: 237-241.
34. Ghadiri-Anari A, Jafarizadah M, Zare A et al (2013). Prevalence of obesity and overweight among adults in Iranian population (Yazd Province). Iranian Journal of Diabetes and Obesity, 5: 67-70.
35. Bell AC, Ge K, Popkin BM (2002). The road to obesity or the path to prevention: motorized transportation and obesity in China. Obes Res, 10: 277-283.
36. Misra A, Singhal N, Khurana L (2010). Obesity, the metabolic syndrome, and type 2 diabetes in developing countries: role of dietary fats and oils. J Am Coll Nutr, 29(3 Suppl):289S-301S.
37. World Health Organization (2003). Diet, nutrition and the prevention of chronic diseases. World Health Organ Tech Rep Ser, 916: 1-149.
38. Wang K, Wang D, Pan L et al (2015). Prevalence of Obesity and Related Factors among Bouyei and Han Peoples in Guizhou Province, Southwest China. PloS One, 10: e0129230.
39. Aoyagi K, Kusano Y, Takamura N et al (2006). Obesity and cardiovascular risk factors among men and women aged 40 years and older in a rural area of Japan. J Physiol Anthropol, 25: 371-375.
40. Rashidy‐Pour A, Malek M, Eskandarian R et al (2009). Obesity in the Iranian population. Obes Rev, 10: 2-6.
41. Garawi F, Devries K, Thorogood N et al (2014). Global differences between women and men in the prevalence of obesity: is there an association with gender inequality&quest. Eur J Clin Nutr, 68: 1101-1106.
42. Maddah M, Nikooyeh B (2008). Urban and rural differences in pregnancy weight gain in Guilan, Northern Iran. Matern Child Health J, 12: 783-786.
43. Heseker H, Schmid A (2000). Epidemiology of obesity. Ther Umsch, 57: 478-481. [Article in German]
44. Martínez-Ros M, Tormo M, Navarro C et al (2001). Extremely high prevalence of overweight and obesity in Murcia, a Mediterranean region in south-east Spain. Int J Obes Relat Metab Disord, 25:1372-80.
45. Maziak W, Ward KD, Rastam S et al (2005). Extent of exposure to environmental tobacco smoke (ETS) and its dose-response relation to respiratory health among adults. Respir Res, 6: 13.
46. Stene L, Giacaman R, Abdul-Rahim H et al (2001). Original communications-obesity and associated factors in a palestinian west bank village population. Eur J Clin Nutr, 55: 805-811.
47. WHO (2000). Obesity: preventing and managing the global epidemic: World Health Organization.
48. Fouad M, Rastam S, Ward K et al (2006). Prevalence of obesity and its associated factors in Aleppo, Syria. Prev Control, 2: 85-94.
49. Al-Nuaim AA, Bamgboye EA, Al-Rubeaan KA et al (1997). Overweight and obesity in Saudi Arabian adult population, role of sociodemographic variables. J Community Health, 22: 211-223.
50. Kac G, Velásquez-Meléndez G, Coelho MAS (2001). Factors associated with abdominal obesity among childbearing-age women. Rev Saude Publica, 35: 46-51.
51. Musaiger A, Al-Mannai M (2001). Weight, height, body mass index and prevalence of obesity among the adult population in Bahrain. Ann Hum Biol, 28: 346-350.
52. Sibai AM, Hwalla N, Adra N et al (2003). Prevalence and covariates of obesity in Lebanon: findings from the first epidemiological study. Obes Res, 11: 1353-1361.
53. Lipowicz A, Gronkiewicz S, Malina RM (2002). Body mass index, overweight and obesity in married and never married men and women in Poland. Am J Hum Biol, 14: 468-475.
54. Ersoy C, Imamoglu S (2006). Comparison of the obesity risk and related factors in employed and unemployed (housewife) premenopausal urban women. Diabetes Res Clin Pract, 72: 190-196.
55. Dinsa G, Goryakin Y, Fumagalli E et al (2012). Obesity and socioeconomic status in developing countries: a systematic review. Obes Rev, 13: 1067-1079.
56. Vedana EHB, Peres MA, Neves Jd et al (2008). Prevalence of obesity and potential causal factors among adults in southern Brazil. Arq Bras Endocrinol Metabol, 52: 1156-1162.
57. Ghassemi H, Harrison G, Mohammad K (2002). An accelerated nutrition transition in Iran. Public Health Nutr, 5: 149-155.
58. Maddah M, Eshraghian M, Djazayery A et al (2003). Association of body mass index with educational level in Iranian men and women. Eur J Clin Nutr, 57: 819-823.
59. Shukla H, Gupta P, Mehta H et al (2002). Descriptive epidemiology of body mass index of an urban adult population in western India. J Epidemiol Community Health, 56: 876-880.
60. Lahti-Koski M, Pietinen P, Heliövaara M et al (2002). Associations of body mass index and obesity with physical activity, food choices, alcohol intake, and smoking in the 1982–1997 FINRISK Studies. Am J Clin Nutr, 75: 809-817.
61. Farahani LA, Asadi-Lari M, Mohammadi E et al (2015). Community-based physical activity interventions among women: a systematic review. BMJ Open, 5: e007210.
62. Schoenborn CA, Adams PF, Barnes PM (2002). Body weight status of adults: United States, 1997-98. Adv Data, (330):1-15.
63. Rissanen A, Heliövaara M, Knekt P et al (1991). Determinants of weight gain and overweight in adult Finns. Eur J Clin Nutr, 45: 419-430.
64. Abete I, Astrup A, Martínez JA et al (2010). Obesity and the metabolic syndrome: role of different dietary macronutrient distribution patterns and specific nutritional components on weight loss and maintenance. Nutr Res, 68: 214-231.
65. Halton TL, Hu FB (2004). The effects of high protein diets on thermogenesis, satiety and weight loss: a critical review. J Am Coll Nutr, 23: 373-385.
66. Guttmacher S, Kelly PJ, Ruiz-Janecko Y (2010). Community-based health interventions: John Wiley & Sons.
67. Austin GL, Ogden LG, Hill JO (2011). Trends in carbohydrate, fat, and protein intakes and association with energy intake in normal-weight, overweight, and obese individuals: 1971–2006. Am J Clin Nutr, 93: 836-843.
|Issue||Vol 47 No 10 (2018)|
|Adults, Overweight, Obesity, Abdominal obesity|
|Rights and permissions|
|This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial 4.0 International License.|