Designing and Psychometric Evaluation of Iranian Students’ Academic Stress Questionnaire (IAASQ)
Background: Academic stress is one of the factors affecting the health of adolescents. The aim of present study was to design an academic stress questionnaire for Iranian adolescents with regard to the cultural and educational system of the country.
Methods: After reviewing the literature and identifying available tools in 2018, Iranian adolescents' views on academic stress were extracted. Similar questions have been used in other tools. According to expert opinion, the results were overviewed and the initial version was designed. The steps of content validity and instrument reliability were carried out. Internal consistency was investigated with Cronbach's alpha (α) and repeatability with Intra Class Correlation (ICC). After dividing the data into two randomized samples, exploratory factor analysis (EFA) with 899 subjects and confirmatory factor analysis (CFA) with 717 subjects were performed. The association between this tool and the Morgan and Jink’s Self Efficacy Scale and the Strengths and Diﬃculties Questionnaire questionnaires was investigated. Data were analyzed using SPSS and Mplus softwares.
Results: The Iranian Adolescent Academic Stress Questionnaire (IAASQ) was designed with 57 questions. Relevancy and clarity of the whole tool were obtained as 0.81 and 0.83, respectively. In different domains, Cronbach's alpha was in the range (0.58-0.85) and ICC (0.80 (95% CI:0.66-0.90)). In the EFA, 9 factors were extracted. CFA confirmed the suitability of the model in another sample. Discriminant and convergent validity tool was approved.
Conclusion: The IAASQ questionnaire has acceptable reliability and validity. This tool is recommended for use in related studies in the Iranian community.
- Mulyadi S, W Rahardjo, A.M.H. Basuki, The Role of Parent-child Relationship, Self-esteem, Academic Self efficacy to Academic Stress. Procedia Soc Behav Sci. 2016; 217: 603-8.
- Heizomi H, Allahverdipour H, Jafarabadi M.A, Safaian A. Happiness and its relation to psychological well-being of adolescents. Asian J Psychiatr. 2015; 16: 55-60.
- Glozah F.N, Pevalin D.J. Social support, stress, health, and academic success in Ghanaian adolescents: A path analysis. J Adolesc.201; 4(37); 451-60.
- Frison E, Eggermont S. The impact of daily stress on adolescents’ depressed mood: The role of social support seeking through Facebook. Comput Human Behav. 2015; 44: 315-25.
- Persike M, Seiffge-Krenke I. Competence in coping with stress in adolescents from three regions of the world. J Youth Adolesc.2012; 41(7): 863-879.
- Burger K, Samuel R. The role of perceived stress and self-efficacy in young people’s life satisfaction: A longitudinal study. J Youth Adolesc.2017; 46(1): 78-90.
- Liu Y, Lu Z. Chinese high school students' academic stress and depressive symptoms: gender and school climate as moderators. Stress Health. 2012; 28(4): 340-46.
- Abdi B, Roozbahani K.M, Paeezy M. A qualitative assessment of stressors among Iranian applicants to the university: an exploratory study. Procedia Soc Behav Sci. 2010; 5: 1171-74.
- Byrne D.G, Davenport S, Mazanov J. Profiles of adolescent stress: The development of the adolescent stress questionnaire (ASQ). J Adolesc. 2007; 30(3): 393-416.
- Tan J.B, Yates S. Academic expectations as sources of stress in Asian students. Social Psychology of Education 2011; 14(3): 389-407.
- Moksnes U.K, Løhre A, Lillefjell M, Byrne D.G, Haugan G. The association between school stress, life satisfaction and depressive symptoms in adolescents: Life satisfaction as a potential mediator. Social Indicators Research 2016; 125(1): 339-357.
- Galanti M.R, Hultin H, Dalman Ch, Engström K, Ferrer-Wreder L, Forsell Y, et al. School environment and mental health in early adolescence-a longitudinal study in Sweden (KUPOL). BMC Psychiatry. 2016; 16(1): 243-53.
- Sang B, Pan T, Deng X, Zhao X. Be cool with academic stress: the association between emotional states and regulatory strategies among Chinese adolescents. Educational Psychology 2018; 38(1): 38-53.
- Lim H.J, Chung S.S, Joung K.H. Factors of depressive symptoms among elementary, middle, and high school students. Arch Psychiatr Nurs. 2016; 30(3): 302-08.
- Noury R, Kelishadi R, Ziaoddini H. Study of Common Stresses among Students in Tehran. Journal of Isfahan Medical School 2010; 28(105):1-12.
- Kormi-Nouri R, MacDonald Sh, Farahani M.N, Trost K, Shokri O. Academic stress as a health measure and its relationship to patterns of emotion in collectivist and individualist cultures: similarities and differences. International Journal of Higher Education 2015; 4(2): 92-104.
- Khanehkeshi A. A Comparative Study of the Academic Stress and Depression among High School Girl and Boy Students. i-Manager's Journal on Educational Psychology 2012; 6(1):11-20.
- Byrne D, Byrne A, Reinhart M. Personality, stress and the decision to commence cigarette smoking in adolescence. J Psychosom Res.1995. 39(1): 53-62.
- Moksnes U.K, Byrne D.G, Mazanov J, Espnes G.A. Adolescent stress: evaluation of the factor structure of the adolescent stress questionnaire (ASQ‐N). Scand J Psychol. 2010; 51(3): 203-09.
- Moksnes U.K, EspnesG.A. Evaluation of the Norwegian version of the Adolescent Stress Questionnaire (ASQ‐N): Factorial validity across samples. Scand J Psychol. 2011; 52(6): 601-08.
- Burnett P.C, Fanshawe J.P. Measuring school-related stressors in adolescents. J Youth Adolesc. 1997; 26(4): 415-28.
- Ang R.P, Huan V.S. Academic Expectations Stress Inventory: Development, factor analysis, reliability, and validity. Educational and Psychological Measurement 2006; 66(3): 522-39.
- Bjorkman S.M. Relationships among academic stress, social support, and internalizing and externalizing behavior in adolescence. 2007.
- Sun J, Dunne M.P, Hou X.Y, Xu A. Educational Stress Scale for Adolescents: Development, validity, and reliability with Chinese students. Journal of Psychoeducational Assessment 2011; 29(6): 534-46.
- Cohen S, Kamarck T, Mermelstein R. Perceived stress scale. Measuring stress: A guide for health and social scientists 1994.
- Byrne D, Mazanov J. Sources of stress in Australian adolescents: Factor structure and stability over time. Stress Health 2002; 18(4): 185-92.
- De Vriendt T, Clays E, Moreno L, Bergman P, Vicente-Rodriguez G, Nagy E, Dietrich S, et al. Reliability and validity of the Adolescent Stress Questionnaire in a sample of European adolescents-the HELENA study BMC Public Health. 2011; 11(1): 717.
- Abdollahpour I, Nedjat S, Noroozian M, Majdzadeh R. Performing content validation process in development of questionnaires. Iranian Journal of Epidemiology 2011; 6(4): 66-74.
- Tabachnick B.G, Fidell L.S. Using multivariate statistics. 2007: Allyn & Bacon/Pearson Education.
- Costello A.B, Osborne J.W. Best practices in exploratory factor analysis: Four recommendations for getting the most from your analysis. Practical assessment, research & evaluation 2005; 10(7): 1-9.
- Jinks J, Morgan V. Children's perceived academic self-efficacy: An inventory scale. The Clearing House 1999, 72(4): 224-30.
- Goodman R, Meltzer H, Bailey V. The Strengths and Difficulties Questionnaire: A pilot study on the validity of the self-report version. European child & adolescent psychiatry 1998; 7(3): 125-130.
- Cronbach L.J.Coefficient alpha and the internal structure of tests. psychometrika 1951; 16(3): 297-334.
- Koo T.K, Li M.Y. A guideline of selecting and reporting intraclass correlation coefficients for reliability research. J Chiropr Med. 2016; 15(2): 155-63.
- Petersen I, Bhana A, Swartz L. Mental health promotion and the prevention of mental disorders in South Africa. African journal of Psychiatry 2012; 15(6): 411-16.
- Clemente M, et al. Stress and Psychological Well-being: An Explanatory Study of the Iranian Female Adolescents. Journal of Child and Adolescent Behavior 2016.
- Ghalichi L, et al. Determinants of Self-Rated Health in Tehran, from Individual Characteristics towards Community-Level Attributes. Arch Iran Med. 2015;18(5): 266-71.
|Issue||Vol 49 No 4 (2020)|
|Stress Adolescents Questionnaire Factor analysis Iran|
|Rights and permissions|
|This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial 4.0 International License.|