Hospital Disaster Preparedness in Iran: A Systematic Review and Meta-Analysis
Background: Disasters are increasing all over the world. Iran, is one of the high-risk countries in this regard; so it is unavoidable to prepare hospitals as vital centers when disasters happen. This study aimed to evaluation the hospital preparedness based on previous studies in Iran.
Methods: A systematic review and meta-analysis by browsing through all articles published since 2006 to 2017, in English and Persian both languages were designed. Databases that we searched to, include Google Scholar, PubMed, Web of Science, Scopus, Medlib, Cochrane Library, Science Direct, Internationally and SID, Irandoc and Magiran, domestically. Two expert researchers investigated separately. Researchers used random and fixed effect models in the meta-analysis. Moreover, random and fixed effects model and meta-regression tests were applied by using STATA ver. 11. The P<0.05 was considered statistically significant.
Results: Twenty-five studies with a sample size of 181 hospitals were introduced to the process of meta-analysis. Iranian hospital preparedness is 53%, totally, that is moderate. Preparedness in different categories is as follows: emergency services 62%, communication 57%, security 54%, education 57%, logistic 65%, human resources 52%, Management and command 64%, reception 43%, transfer and evacuation 44%, traffic 47%, non-structural safety 57%, and structural safety 49%.
Conclusion: Hospital preparedness is moderate in Iran. Optimal management of existing resources and the use of Update technologies in the field of hospital services be directed towards improving the preparedness of hospitals for disasters.
2. Jahangiri K, Tabibi S, Maleki MR, Alamdari S (2009). A comparative study on community-based disaster management (cbdm) in selected countries and proposing a model for iran. Payesh, 8 (1): 49-57.
3. Nivolianitou Z, Synodinou B (2011). Towards emergency management of natural disasters and critical accidents: The Greek experience. J Environ Manage, 92 (10): 2657-65.
4. Ager A, Baillie Smith M, Barbelet V, Carpenter S et al (2015). World Disasters Report: Focus on local actors, the key to humanitarian effectiveness.
5. Guha-Sapir, D, Hoyois P, Below R (2014). Annual Disaster Statistical Review 2011: the numbers and trends. 2012. Centre for REsearch on the Epidemiology of Disasters (CRED), Institute of Health and Society (IRSS) and Universite catholoque de Louvain: Louvain-la-neuve, Belgium.
6. Yavari P (2014). Epidemiology textbook of prevalent diseases in Iran. Tehran, Gap Publishing, pp. 148-55.
7. Pourvakhshoori N, Norouzi K, Ahmadi F, Hosseini M, Khankeh H (2017). Nursing in disasters: A review of existing models. Int Emerg Nurs, 31: 58-63.
8. Daneshmandi M, Nezamzadeh M, Zareiyan A (2014). Assessment the preparedness of selected hospital to deal with disasters in Tehran. Military Caring Sciences, 1 (1): 28-35.
9. Nasiripor A, Raeesi P, Mahbobi M (2007). Readiness of hospitals in the border province of Kermanshah in dealing with cross-border crisis. Journal of Health Management, 10(28): 41-8.
10. Ingrassia PL, Mangini M, Azzaretto M et al (2016). Hospital Disaster Preparedness in Italy: a preliminary study utilizing the World Health Organization Hospital Emergency Response Evaluation Toolkit. Minerva Anestesiol, 82 (12): 1259-66.
11. Koka PM, Sawe HR, Mbaya KR et al (2018). Disaster preparedness and response capacity of regional hospitals in Tanzania: a descriptive cross-sectional study. BMC Health Serv Res, 18(1): 835.
12. Djalali A, Della Corte F, Foletti M et al (2014). Art of disaster preparedness in European Union: A survey on the health systems. PLoS Curr, 17;6.
13. Daliri S, Sayehmiri K, Asadollahi K et al (2018 ). Prevalence of Congenital Anomalies in Iran: A Systematic Review and Meta-analysis. Iranian Journal of Neonatology, 9 (2): 21-32.
14. Bazyar J, Safarpour H, Daliri S et al (2018). The prevalence of sexual violence during pregnancy in Iran and the world: a systematic review and meta-analysis. J Inj Violence Res, 10(2): 63-74.
15. Daliri S, Bazyar J, Sayehmiri K, Delpisheh A, Sayehmiri F (2017). The incidence rates of suicide attempts and successful suicides in seven climatic conditions in Iran from 2001 to 2014: a systematic review and meta-analysis. Scientific Journal of Kurdistan University of Medical Sciences, 21 (86): 1-15.
16. Khankeh HR (2014). Risk assessment tools and indicators of surge capacity of health in disasters, University of Social Welfare and Rehabilitation Sciences, Tehran, Iran.
17. Sobhani G, Khammarnia M, Hayati R et al (2014). Investigation of the preparedness level of the hospitals against disasters in Bandar Abbas, Iran, in 2012. J Pak Med Assoc, 64 (5): 506-9.
18. Amiri M, Mohammadi G, Khosravi A et al (2011). Hospital preparedness of Semnan province to deal with disasters. Journal of Knowledge and Health , 6 (3): 44-50.
19. Maleki MR, Shojaie P (2007). Preparation of educational hospitals of Iran University of Medical Sciences against disasters. Quarterly Journal of Health Management, 10 (28): 65-70.
20. Ezati E, Kaviannezhad R, Karimpour H, Mohammadi S (2016). Preparedness of crisis and disaster management in social security hospitals in Kermanshah in 2016: A short report. JRUMS, 15 (6): 583-590.
21. Vali L, Masoud A, JabariBeyrami H, Yaghobian B (2014). Readiness of hospitals affiliated with Tabriz University of Medical Sciences to Face Disasters. Health Develop J, 3(1): 62-0.
22. Mohabati F, Ramazani A, Ramazani V, Hedayati S (2013). The study of the preparedness level of Zabol city hospitals in term of unexpected events. Journal of Zabol University of Medical Sciences and Health Services, 4 (4): 39-46.
23. Hojat M (2012). Disaster preparedness in hospitals in Jahrom University of Medical Sciences(2010). J Qazvin Univ Med Sci, 3 (64): 72-7.
24. Ghafari S, Khankeh H R, Ghanbari V, Ranjbar M (2012). The study of affiliated hospitals preparedness to University of Welfare and Rehabilitation Sciences for unexpected disasters in 2011. Journal of Rescue and Relief, 4 (3): 21-34.
25. Shafaght T, Rahimi SH, Julaee H, Heidari A, Salari H (2011). Shiraz hospitals (public & private) Preparedness in dealing with disasters. SCIENTIFIC JOURNAL OF RESCUE AND RELIEF, 2 (4): 1-10.
26. Daneshmandi M, Amiri H, Vahedi M et al (2010). Assessing the level of preparedness for confronting crisis such as flood, earthquake, fire and storm in some selected hospitals of Iran. Iranian Journal of Military Medicine, 12 (3): 167-71.
27. Amerion A, Delaavari A, Teymourzadeh E (2010). Rate of preparedness in confronting crisis in three selected border hospitals. J Mil Med, 12 (1): 19-22.
28. Ojaghi S, Nourizadeh S, Mahboobi M et al (2009). Study of the readiness of Kermanshah University of Medical Sciences in Crisis Management (2008). Behbood, 13 (3): 267-74.
29. Hojat M, Siratinir M, Khaghanizadeh M, Karimizarchi M (2008). Assessing the readiness of coping with unexpected events in hospitals affiliated to medical sciences universities. Journal of Shahed University, 15 (74): 1-10.
30. Zaboli R, Toufighi S, Amerioun A, Moghadsi H (2006). Determining the readiness of hospitals in Tehran in the face of unexpected accidents. Journal Mil Med, 8 (7): 103-11.
31. Shojaei P, Reza Maleki M, Bagherzadeh R (2009). Studying preparedness in teaching hospitals affiliated to Iran University of Medical Sciences, 2006. Disaster Prev Manag, 18 (4): 379-87.
32. Vahedparast H, Ravanipour M, Hajinezhad F et al (2013). Assessing hospital disaster preparedness of bushehr province. Iran South Med J, 16 (1): 69-76.
33. Amiri M, Raei M, Shirvani N et al (2013). preparedness of affiliated hospitals of universities in north of iran to confront disasters in the year 2011. JHOSP, 12(1): 19-28.
34. Kavari SH, Mobaraki H (2012). Survey of disaster preparedness of hospitals at Shiraz University of Medical Science, Iran. HealthMed, 6 (6): 1987-93.
35. Mahdaviazad H, Abdolahifar GR (2013). Assessing hospital disaster preparedness in Shiraz, Iran 2011: teaching versus private hospitals. Am J Disaster Med, 8(1): 65-73.
36. Khazaei Monfared Y, Jamaly Z et al (2017). How is training hospitals of Qazvin preparedness against disaster in 2015? Annals of Tropical Medicine and Public Health, 10(5): 1205-1209.
37. Partoui-Shayan Z, Asefzadeh S, Yousefali M (2014). Evaluating the Emergency Readiness of Hospitals of Qazvin University of Medical Sciences in Facing Disasters from the Management and Organizational Perspective: 2013. Journal of Health Management, 5 (4): 63-72.
38. Mohammadi S, Aminisaman J, Karimpour H, Kaviannezhad R, Ezzati E (2017). Assessing of Preparedness for Disasters and Crisis in Centers of Trauma and Accidents of Kermanshah University of Medical Sciences in 2016. J Clin Nurs Midwife, 4 (3): 69-80.
39. Mirzaee F, Kakaei H, Farasati F, Zamani N (2015). Investigation on the Safety Status and Preparedness of Ilam s Hospitals against Disasters in 2012. sjimu, 22 (7): 14-23.
40. Naser WN, Ingrassia PL, Aladhrae S, Abdulraheem WA (2018). A study of hospital disaster preparedness in South Yemen. Prehosp Disaster Med, 33 (2): 133-8.
41. Cliff BJ, Morlock L, Curtis AB (2009). Is there an association between risk perception and disaster preparedness in rural US hospitals? Prehosp Disaster Med, 24 (6): 512-7.
42. Al Khalaileh MA, Bond E, Alasad JA (2012). Jordanian nurses’ perceptions of their preparedness for disaster management. Int Emerg Nurs, 20 (1): 14-23.
43. Murphy JK (2004). After 9/11: priority focus areas for bioterrorism preparedness in hospitals. J Healthc Manag, 49 (4): 227-35.
44. Djalali A, Castren M, Khankeh H et al (2013). Hospital disaster preparedness as measured by functional capacity: a comparison between Iran and Sweden. Prehosp Disaster Med, 28 (5): 454-61.
45. Veenema TG (2006). Expanding educational opportunities in disaster response and emergency preparedness for nurses. Nurs Educ Perspect, 27 (2): 93-9.
46. Paganini M, Borrelli F, Cattani J et al (2016). Assessment of disaster preparedness among emergency departments in Italian hospitals: a cautious warning for disaster risk reduction and management capacity. Scand J Trauma Resusc Emerg Med, 24 (1): 101.
47. Heidaranlu E, Ebadi A, Khankeh HR, Ardalan A (2015). Hospital disaster preparedness tools: a systematic review PLoS Curr, 7.
48. Jagnarine S (2014). Safe hospitals in Caribbean. Pan American Health Organization.
49. Pisla M, Domente S, Chetraru L, Ostaficiuc R (2014). Republic of Maldova hospital safety assessment report. 2010. Available from: http://www.old2.ms.gov.md/sites/default/files/evaluation_of_hospital_safety_in_the_republic_of_moldova.pdf
50. Ardalan A, Kandi M, Talebian MT et al (2014). Hospitals safety from disasters in IR iran: the results from assessment of 224 hospitals. PLoS Curr,28; 6.