Evaluation of Cystic Echinococcosis Cases in Terms of Sociodemographic, Clinical and Hospitalization Features in Karaman Province, Turkey
Background: We aimed to investigate the cystic echinococcosis (CE) epidemiology in Karaman Province from 2010 to 2017 using data from the provincial state hospital.
Methods: Overall, 482 cases were determined from Karaman State Hospital, Karaman Province, Turkey from 2010 to 2017. Records were investigated in terms of year, gender, age, cyst location, rural and urban households and duration of hospital stay.
Results: The CE incidence was 22.40 per 100 000 people after final diagnosis with focused abdominal ultrasound. Totally, 482 people including 166 (34.4%) male and 316 (65.6%) female were with CE. The mean age of patients was 50.3±17.48 yr. More CE cases were reported in the age group of 51-60 yr than in the other age groups. CE was mostly seen in liver (470, 97.5%). Moreover, 28.4% of patients were resided in rural areas. The observed frequencies of demographic features of female gender, infected liver, residence in provincial centers, referral to general surgery policlinic and no hospitalization were significantly higher than expected frequencies (P<0.05). Sixty (12.4%) patients with CE had been hospitalized. There was a statistically significant positive relationship between age of hospitalized patients and duration of hospitalization (P<0.05). Of the patients 73.2% were admitted to general surgery.
Conclusion: CE is of great importance to public health considerations in the Karaman Province and we advocate the implementation of eradication programs to decrease the CE cases number.
2. Unat EK, Yücel A, Atlaş K, Samastı M (1995). Unat’ın Tıp Parazitolojisi. Cer-rahpaşa Tıp Fakültesi Vakfı Yayını, İstan-bul.
3. Karaman Ü, Daldal N, Atambay M, Aycan ÖM (2002). İnönü Üniversitesi Tıp Fakültesi’nde 1999-2002 tarihleri arasında incelenen hidatik kist ön tanılı olguların serolojik sonuçları. İnönü Üniversitesi Tıp Fakültesi Dergisi, 9 (4): 233-5.
4. Kaplan M, Aygen E, Özyurtkan MO, Bakal Ü (2010). 2005-2007 Yılları arasında Fırat Üniversitesi hastanesindeki kistik eki-nokokkoz olguları. FÜ Sağ Bil Tıp Derg, 24: 109-13.
5. Sak ZHA, Eser İ, Günay Ş et al (2013). Şanlıurfa'da kist hidatik hastalığının epi-demiyolojisi. Journal of Harran University Medical Faculty, 10 (1): 6-10.
6. Yılmaz H, Cengiz ZT, Çiçek M (2013). [Uni-locular cyst hydatid cases diagnosed be-tween 1998-2005 in the Parasitology La-boratory of Yüzüncü Yıl University Re-search and Training Hospital]. Turkiye Parazitol Derg, 37: 249-51. [Article in Turk-ish]
7. Selek A, Selek MB, Karadayı N (2015). [Evaluation of the Cystic Eccinococcosis Cases Diagnosed in Dr. Lütfi Kır-dar Kartal Education and Research Hos-pital Pathology Laboratory Between 2007 and 2013]. Turkiye Parazitol Derg, 39: 112-6.
8. Yılmaz A, Uslu H, Aktaş F (2016). 2009-2013 Yılları Arasında Erzurum Bölge Hastanesindeki Kistik Ekinokokkozis Şüpheli Hastaların İndirekt Hemaglüti-nasyon (İHA) Metoduyla Değer-lendirilmesi. Gümüşhane Üniversitesi Sağlık Bilimleri Dergisi, 5 (1): 23-32.
9. Karaman Governorate: http://www.karaman.gov.tr/
10. Eckert J, Deplazes P (2004). Biological, epi-demiological, and clinical aspects of echi-nococcosis, a zoonosis of increasing concern. Clin Microbiol Rev, 17 (1): 107-35.
11. Yazar S, Özkan AT, Hökelek M et al (2008). [Cyst-ic echinococcosis in Turkey from 2001-2005]. Türkiye Parazitol Derg, 32 (3): 208-20.
12. Vuitton DA, Economides P, the WHO-IWGE EurEchinoReg Network (1999). Echinococcosis in Western Europe, a risk assessment/risk management ap-proach. [Internet]. Food and Agriculture Organization of the United Nations (FAO); Available from: http://www.fao.org/tempref/upload/Agrippa/666_en.doc
13. Fallah N, Rahmatı K, Fallah M (2017). Prevalence of Human Hydatidosis Based on Hospital Records in Hamadan West of Iran from 2006 to 2013. Iran J Parasitol, 12 (3): 453-60.
14. Al-Jawabreh A, Ereqat S, Dumaidi K et al (2017). The clinical burden of human cystic echinococcosis in Palestine, 2010-2015. PLoS Negl Trop Dis, 11 (7): e0005717.
15. Al-Qaoud KM, Craig PS, Abdel-Hafez SK (2003). Retrospective surgical incidence and case distribution of cystic echinococ-cosis in Jordan between 1994 and 2000. Acta Trop, 87 (2): 207-14.
16. Abdulhameed MF, Habib I, Al-Azizz SA, Robertson I (2018). A retrospective study of human cystic echinococcosis in Basrah province, Iraq. Acta Trop, 178: 130-133.
17. Aydin MF, Gokmen S, Koc S et al (2015). Karaman İl Merkezindeki Kasapların Kist Hidatik Hakkındaki Bilgi Düzeylerinin Değerlendirilmesi. Van Vet J, 26 (3): 147-50.
18. Moro P, Schantz PM (2009). Echinococ-cosis: a review. Int J Infect Dis, 13 (2): 125-33.
19. Güreser AS, Özcan O, Ozunel L et al (2015). [Evaluation of the radiological, biochemi-cal and serological parameters of patients prediagnosed as cystic echinococcosis in Çorum, Turkey]. Mikrobiyol Bul, 49 (2): 231-9.
20. Mor N, Allahverdi TD, Anuk T (2015). The Situation of Cystic Echinococcoses in Kars State Hospital for the Last Five Years. Türkiye Parazitol Derg, 39 (2): 108-11.
21. Gündoğdu C, Arslan R, Arslan MÖ, Gıcık Y (2005). [Evaluation of cystic and alveo-lar echinococcosis cases in people in Er-zurum and surrounding cities.] Türkiye Parazitol Derg, 29 (2): 163-6.
22. Hakverdi S, Çulha G, Canda MŞ et al (2008). [Problem of cystic echinococcoss in Hatay]. Turkiye Parazitol Derg, 32: 340-2.
23. Aksu M, Sevimli FK, İbiloğlu İ, Arpacı RB (2013). [Cystic echinococcosis in the Mersin province (119 cases)]. Turkiye Parazitol Derg, 37(4):252-6.
24. Dashti AS, Kadivar MR, Alborzi A et al (2017). Analysis of hospital records of children with hydatid cyst in south of Iran. J Parasit Dis, 41 (4): 1044-8.
25. Türkoğlu E, Demirtürk N, Tünay H et al (2017). Evaluation of Patients with Cystic Echinococcosis. Türkiye Parazitol Derg, 41 (1): 28-33.
26. Altintas N (2003). Past to present: echino-coccosis in Turkey. Acta Trop, 85 (2): 105-12.
27. Aydın MF, Adıgüzel E, Güzel H (2018). A study to assess the awareness of risk fac-tors of cystic echinococcosis in Turkey. Saudi Med J, 39 (3): 280-289.
28. Yazar S, Yaman O, Cetinkaya F, Sahin I (2006). Cystic echinococcosis in central Anatolia, Turkey. Saudi Med J, 27 (2): 205-9.
29. Lise MLZ, Lise CRZ, de Oliveira SV, de Caldas EP (2017). Records of Hospitali-zations from Echinococcosis in Brazil, 1998-2016. Arch Parasitol, 1: 106.
30. Herrador Z, Siles-Lucas M, Aparicio P et al (2016). Cystic echinococcosis epidemiol-ogy in Spain based on hospitalization records, 1997-2012. PLoS Negl Trop Dis, 10 (8): e0004942.