Effects of Facility Adaptation Promotion Program for Korean Older Adults in Nursing Home
Background: The purpose of this study was to examine the effects of facility adaptation promotion program on self-esteem, depression, relationship, life satisfaction, and adaptation to facility of Korean older adults in nursing home.
Methods: A quasi-experimental pretest-posttest control group design was employed. Study participants were a total of 73 older adults aged 65 yr and older (Experimental: n=36, Control: n=37) who were living at nursing home in Seoul, South Korea in 2016. They were recruited through convenient sampling. Measures were Self-esteem scale, Korean Geriatric Depression Scale, Relationship Change Scale, life satisfaction scale, and facility adaptation scale. Data were analyzed using the SPSS version 21.0 with descriptive statistics, the Chi-squared test, and independent t-test.
Results: Facility adaptation promotion program increased self-esteem (t=19.067, P<0.001), relationship (t=24.533, P<0.001), life satisfaction (t=16.501, P<0.001), and adaptation to facility (t=24.328, P<0.001), and decreased depression (t=14.491, P<0.001) of Korean older adults in nursing home.
Conclusion: Facility adaptation promotion program can be implied for improving self-esteem, relationship, life satisfaction, and adaptation to facility, and for decreasing depression of Korean older adults in nursing home.
2. Lee KK, Kim SY, Sok SR (2016). Effects of multivitamin supplements on cognitive function, serum homocystein level, and depression of Korean older adults with mild cognitive impairment in care facili-ties. J Nurs Scholarship, 48(3):223-31.
3. Nakrem S, Vinsnes AG, Seim A (2011). Res-idents' experiences of interpersonal fac-tors in nursing home care: a qualitative study. Int J Nurs Stud, 48(11):1357-66.
4. Altintas E, De Benedetto G, Gallouj K (2017). Adaptation to nursing home: The role of leisure activities in light of motiva-tion and relatedness. Arch Gerontol Geriatr, 70:8-13.
5. Cho E, Kim H, Kim J, Lee K, Meghani SH, Chang SJ (2017). Older adult residents' perceptions of daily lives in nursing homes. J Nurs Scholarsh, 49(5):495-503.
6. Chouiter L, Wodchis WP, Abderhalden C, von Gunten A (2015). Resident health-related quality of life in Swiss nursing homes. Eur Psychiatry, 30(5):549-54.
7. Gijsberts MJ, van der Steen JT, Muller MT, Hertogh CM, Deliens L (2013). Spiritual end-of-life care in Dutch nursing homes: an ethnographic study. J Am Med Dir As-soc, 14(9):679-84.
8. Johnson RA, Bibbo J (2014). Relocation de-cisions and constructing the meaning of home: a phenomenological study of the transition into a nursing home. J Aging Stud, 30:56-63.
9. Yoon HS, Sok S (2016). Adaptation process to group home living by older adults. J Korean Acad Nurs, 46(6):858-70.
10. Chang A, Park YH (2012). Effects of an empowerment program on the adjust-ment of older adults to nursing home life. J Korean Acad Nurs, 42(4):559-67.
11. Koppitz AL, Dreizler J, Altherr J, Bosshard G, Naef R, Imhof L (2017). Relocation experiences with unplanned admission to a nursing home: a qualitative study. Int Psychogeriatr, 29(3):517-27.
12. Meeks S, Van Haitsma K, Mast BT, et al (2016). Psychological and social resources relate to biomarkers of allostasis in newly admitted nursing home residents. Aging Ment Health, 20(1):88-99.
13. Somoliner C, Norman K, Wagner KH, Har-tig W, Lochs H, Pirlich M (2009). Malnu-trition and depression in the institutional-ized elderly. Br J Nutr, 102:1663-67.
14. Konnert C, Dobson K, Stelmach L (2009). The prevention of depression in nursing home residents: a randomized clinical trial of cognitive-behavioral therapy. Aging Ment Health, 13(2):288-99.
15. Choi JY, Sok SR (2015). Factors influencing the adaptation to skilled nursing facilities among older Korean adults. Int J Nurs Pract, 21(2):184-91.
16. Ha CK, Kim HS (2013). The effects of physical self-efficacy of elderly people in attending the leisure facilities and pro-grams on life satisfaction. J Leisure Recrea Stud, 37(1):1-12.
17. Jin HM, Kwon JS (2010). The change of physical fitness, percent body fat and waist hip ratio on the elderly people using exercise program in leisure-welfare facility. J Korean Phys Edu Assoc Girls Women, 24(1):107-18.
18. Faul F, Erdfelder E, Lang AG, Bunchner A (2007). G power 3.1: A flexible statistical power analysis program for social, be-havioral, and biochemical sciences. Behav Res Methods, 39:175-91.
19. Falk-Rafael AR (2001). Empowerment a. a process of evolving consciousness: A model of empowered caring. ANS Adv Nurs Sc, 24(1):1-16.
20. Jirapaet V (2000). Effects of an empower-ment program on coping, quality of life, and the maternal role adaptation of Thai HIV-infected mothers. J Assoc Nurses AIDS Care, 11(4):34-45.
21. Querimit DS, Conner LC (2003). Empow-erment psychotherapy with adolescent females of color. J Cli Psychol. 59 (11):1215-24.
22. Yang SJ (2009). The effects of an empowerment program on empowerment, self-efficacy, and inter-personal relationships for persons with mental ill-ness [MA thesis], Catholic University of Daegu Press.
23. Yoo MS (2010). Effects of a multi-cultural marital advocacy program based on em-powerment model on self-esteem, self-efficacy, coping way and family stress in multi-cultural couples. J Korean Soc Mater-nal and Child Health, 14(2):145-60.
24. Rosenberg M (1965). The association be-tween self-esteem and anxiety. J Psychiatr Res, 1:135-52.
25. Ha EH, Lee YW (2004). Difference in self-esteem and quality of life according lo perceived social support in institutional-ized elderly people. J Korean Gerontol Nurs, 6(1):47-54.
26. Sheikh JI, Yesavage JA (1986). Geriatric de-pression scale (GDS), recent evidence and development of shorter version. Cli Gerontol, 4:165-73.
27. Cho MJ, Bae JN, Suh GH, Hahm BJ, Kim JK, Lee DW, Kang MH (1999). Valida-tion of geriatric depression scale (GDS), Korean version in the assessment of DSM-III-R major depression. J Korean Neuropsychiatr Assoc, 38(1):48-62.
28. Schlein A, Guerney BG (1971). Relationship enhancement. Josey-Bass Press.
29. Moon S (1980). A study on the effect of human relations training of university students. J Gyeongsang National University, 19:195-204.
30. Yun J (1982). A study of tool development for living satisfaction of elderly [Proceeding book]. Ko-rean Psychiatric Academic Association Press:26-30.
31. Lee GE (2007). Scale development of free nursing home adjustment for the elderly. J Korean Acad Nurs, 37(5):736-43.
32. Custers AFJ, Westerhof GJ, Kuin Y, Riksen-Walraven M (2010). Need fulfillment in caring relationships: its relation with well-being of residents in somatic nursing homes. Aging Ment Health, 14:731–39.
33. Shearer NB, Fleury J, Ward KA, 0’Brien AM (2012). Empowerment interventions for older adults. Western J Nurs Res, 34(1):24-51.
34. Schulz R, Boerner K, Klinger J, Rosen J (2015). Preparedness for death and ad-justment to bereavement among caregiv-ers of recently placed nursing home resi-dents. J Palliat Med, 18(2):127-33.