Efficacy of Paclitaxel Combined with Kanglaite Injection in Treatment of Bone Metastases of Lung Cancer
Background: We aimed to investigate the efficacy of paclitaxel combined with kanglaite injection in the treatment of bone metastases of lung cancer in mice.
Methods: Human lung cancer cell line A549 was inoculated into 100 C57BL/6 mice to establish bone metastasis model of lung cancer. Eighty successful modeling mice were randomly divided into four groups: Kanglaite (group A), Paclitaxel (group B), Paclitaxel combined with kanglaite (group C) and 0.9% sodium chloride solution (control group), 20 in each group. The mice started taking drugs on the 5th day after inoculation. The treatment lasted for 21 days, and the changes of body weight were observed. Evaluation of the efficacy of drug therapy was performed by comparing the pain behavior of the treated mice with that of the control mice.
Results: The physical improvement rates in group A and group B were lower than that in group C (P<0.05). The bone metastasis area and tumor weight in group A, group B and group C were significantly lower than those in control group after 21 days of treatment (P<0.05). The tumor area and tumor weight in group C were significantly lower than those in group A and group B (P<0.05).
Conclusion: Paclitaxel combined with kanglaite is more effective than paclitaxel or kanglaite alone in improving bone metastasis of lung cancer and has an important significance in clinical treatment of bone metastasis of lung cancer.
2. Sarkar D (2017). Statins as Inhibitors of Lung Cancer Bone Metastasis. EBioMedi-cine 19: 6-7.
3. Zarogoulidis K, Boutsikou E, Zarogoulidis P, et al (2009). The impact of zoledronic acid therapy in survival of lung cancer pa-tients with bone metastasis. Int J Cancer, 125: 1705-1709.
4. Katakami N (2006). Lung cancer with bone metastasis. Gan To Kagaku Ryoho 33: 1049-1053.
5. Goldberg JM, Piver MS, Hempling RE, Re-cio FO (1996). Paclitaxel and cisplatin combination chemotherapy in recurrent epithelial ovarian cancer. Gynecol Oncol 63: 312-317.
6. Liu X, Xu F, Wang G, Diao X, Li Y (2008). Kanglaite injection plus chemotherapy versus chemotherapy alone for non-small cell lung cancer patients: A systematic re-view and meta-analysis. Curr Ther Res Clin Exp, 69: 381-411.
7. Wu Y, Zhang J, Hong Y, Wang X (2018). Effects of Kanglaite Injection on Serum miRNA-21 in Patients with Advanced Lung Cancer. Med Sci Monit, 24: 2901-2906.
8. Monzo M, Rosell R, Sanchez JJ et al (1999). Paclitaxel resistance in non-small-cell lung cancer associated with beta-tubulin gene mutations. J Clin Oncol, 17: 1786-1793.
9. Sakurai T, Jinta E, Suzuma T, Yoshimura G, Umemura T, Sakurai T (2012). [Bi-weekly nab-paclitaxel and trastuzumab therapy effective against recurrent breast cancer with multiple lung metastases in elderly patient who had previously undergone two chemotherapeutic regimens for treatment of metastatic disease-a case Re-port]. Gan To Kagaku Ryoho 39: 1703-1706 [Article in Japanese].
10. Delea T, Langer C, McKiernan J, et al (2004). The cost of treatment of skeletal-related events in patients with bone me-tastases from lung cancer. Oncology, 67: 390-396.
11. Hu XY, Zou QF, Jin C, Li WD, Chen WS, Ma L (2010). [Efficacy of zoledronic acid combined with chemotherapy in treat-ment of skeletal metastases of non-small cell lung cancer and the bone metabolic markers]. Nan Fang Yi Ke Da Xue Xue Bao 30: 1343-1346 [Article in Japanese].
12. Komatsu T, Kunieda E, Oizumi Y, Tamai Y, Akiba T (2012). An analysis of the surviv-al rate after radiotherapy in lung cancer patients with bone metastasis: is there an optimal subgroup to be treated with high-dose radiation therapy? Neoplasma, 59: 650-657.
13. Hichino A, Okamoto M, Taga S, Akizuki R, Endo S, Matsunaga T, Ikari A (2017). Down-regulation of Claudin-2 Expres-sion and Proliferation by Epigenetic In-hibitors in Human Lung Adenocarcino-ma A549 Cells. J Biol Chem, 292: 2411-2421.
14. Zissimopoulos A, Stellos K, Matthaios D, et al (2009). Type I collagen biomarkers in the diagnosis of bone metastases in breast cancer, lung cancer, urinary bladder cancer and prostate cancer. Comparison to CEA, CA 15-3, PSA and bone scintig-raphy. J BUON 14: 463-472.
15. Ohsawa M, Dun SL, Tseng LF, Chang J, Dun NJ (2000). Decrease of hindpaw withdrawal latency by cocaine- and am-phetamine-regulated transcript peptide to the mouse spinal cord. Eur J Pharmacol, 399: 165-169.
16. Nagakura Y, Malkmus S, Yaksh TL (2008). Determination of current threshold for paw withdrawal with sine-wave electrical stimulation in rats: effect of drugs and al-teration in acute inflammation. Pain, 134: 293-301.
17. Chi Q, Zheng JY, Dai XJ, Zheng YK, Chen SX, Xu HM, Huang XP (2010). [Applica-tion of ThinPrep cytology test in the di-agnosis of lung cancer]. Zhonghua Zhong Liu Za Zhi, 32: 221-224 [Article in Chi-nese].
18. Latimer KM (2018). Lung Cancer: Smoking Cessation. FP Essent 464: 11-16.
19. Luo Q, Xu Z, Wang L, Ruan M, Jin G (2016). Progress in the research on the mechanism of bone metastasis in lung cancer. Mol Clin Oncol, 5: 227-235.
20. Cai DY, Gao X, Wu XH, Hong TT (2013). [Synergistic effect of beta-elemene injec-tion combined paclitaxel injection on human breast cancer MB-468 cells: an in vitro study]. Zhongguo Zhong Xi Yi Jie He Za Zhi, 33: 978-982 [Article in Chinese].
21. Liu X, Yang Q, Xi Y, Yu K, Wang W, Zhao X, Kou X (2014). Kanglaite injection combined with chemotherapy versus chemotherapy alone in the treatment of advanced non-small cell lung carcinoma. J Cancer Res Ther, 10 Suppl 1: 46-51.
22. Zhu L, Yang Z, Wang S, Tang Y (2009). [Erlotinib in the trentment of Advanced Non-small-cell Lung Cancer: A Systemat-ic Review]. Zhongguo Fei Ai Za Zhi, 12: 1229-1236[Article in Chinese].